Menu

the writer's jungle?

Amirah

so i am asking this for a friend of mine. she has a 1st grader.

what is writer's jungle? i read the website and i am not really sure if its a writing curriculum or a language arts curriculum

how do you use it?

for what age group is it?

It's not a curriculum, but a guide as to how to teach writing throughout the years. It offers ideas and inspiration as to how to live what she calls "the Bravewriter lifestyle" i.e. one that fosters a love of writing and skill with writing. Lots of ideas but no open and go curriculum.

• 4 weeks later...

bumping this up for more information.

What age would you recommend starting Writer's Jungle with? I know it doesn't have specific lesson plans, but for those who use it do you find enough guidance?

Has anyone created plans that they are willing to share?

The Writer's Jungle is not for first grade. It is more for 3rd grade through middle school.

It is written to the teacher and provides a philosophy of writing.

It does not have set lessons or lesson plans.

It doesn't focus on creative writing in the sense of writing stories. It does focus on writing as a creative process.

The Writer's Jungle is not for first grade. It is more for 3rd grade through middle school.

It is written to the teacher and provides a philosophy of writing.

It does not have set lessons or lesson plans.

It doesn't focus on creative writing in the sense of writing stories. It does focus on writing as a creative process.

Kuovonne,

I've been looking at this curric this past week, as well. She gives so much info on the site, so I don't know why I come away with questions, wondering what it is exactly?! Good to know it isn't really for first grade. It's pricey, so I want all the info I can get if I'm really considering it, you know?

I don't really know if this is even a question you could answer or not, but here goes: Might it help to give me (Who was never properly taught writing, topic sentences weren't introduced until midway through our senior year!) the knowledge I would need to start proofreading and guiding my child? If you are using it, I guess you find it worth the money... Any other info you want to share will be soaked up like a sponge by my ears!:bigear:

Might it help to give me (Who was never properly taught writing, topic sentences weren't introduced until midway through our senior year!) the knowledge I would need to start proofreading and guiding my child?

The Writer's Jungle will not teach you how to write a topic sentence. It will not teach you how to proofread. It will not teach grammar. It will not give you any pat forumlas.

Rather, it provides a way of interacting with your child with regard to writing. It shows you how a *writer* thinks of writing. It recommends copywork and dictation to work on the mechanics of writing and spelling. It describes the different stages of writers go through as they develop. It describes freewriting and other techniques for finding what to say.

For young kids, I recommend reading up on the BraveWriter lifestyle on the web site and trying out some of the activities, especially teatime and keen observation. Many activities can be done orally and help develop a feel of and love for language.

If you really want to buy it, it is currently on sale on the Homeschool Buyer's Co-op.

The Writer's Jungle will not teach you how to write a topic sentence. It will not teach you how to proofread. It will not teach grammar. It will not give you any pat forumlas.

Rather, it provides a way of interacting with your child with regard to writing. It shows you how a *writer* thinks of writing. It recommends copywork and dictation to work on the mechanics of writing and spelling. It describes the different stages of writers go through as they develop. It describes freewriting and other techniques for finding what to say.

For young kids, I recommend reading up on the BraveWriter lifestyle on the web site and trying out some of the activities, especially teatime and keen observation. Many activities can be done orally and help develop a feel of and love for language.

If you really want to buy it, it is currently on sale on the Homeschool Buyer's Co-op.

:)Thank you, especially the bolded. I think I need to add it to my self-education arsenal!