Menu

For everyone: Have you ever had your children's hearing tested?

Have you had your child(ren)'s hearing tested?  

1. 1. Have you had your child(ren)'s hearing tested?

• Yes, once a while back (not including newborn screening)
    • Yes, their hearing is screened regularly by a health care provider
    • Yes, they have had a full evaluation by an audiologist
    • No, and I don't plan to
    • No, but I plan to
    • I had a home birth and asked for a new-born hearing screening
    • I had a home birth and did not seek a new-born eharing screening
    • Obligatory "other"

In first grade I had my son tested, mainly because he was a homeschooler and that was what I told the doctor when we asked for the referral. PS kids get screened, mine was going to miss those screenings so I wanted him checked and a baseline to work with.

I'll probably have him checked again when we move back to near a base. (It's too hard here, living with no base and dealing with Tricare remote, when no one has a clue what to do with active duty.) Plus that will be the beginning of middle school. Then maybe once in high school.

When I originally took him in, I figured he was fine, but wanted him double checked because I often had to repeat things to get him to notice I was speaking. Had it only happened when he was engrossed in TV, I wouldn't have thought anything of it, but it happened when the room was quiet, tv off.

Turned out his hearing was fine. The tech said he just lived in little boy land. He'd be so focus on whatever was going on in his head with his lego/guys/coloring/whatever, he wasn't hearing what I said. Apparently this is very common among little boys the tech said! LOL!