Menu

Science Sequence

I am starting to plan our high school science and I have some questions for those of you who are in the thick of it.

I am using Apologia General Science and Physical Science for 7th and 8th Grades.

We are Canadian, and in Canada, each of the sciences are generally taken every year, not just one science per year.

I am wondering if anyone has done Apologia Biology, Chemistry and Physics simultaneously, spreading them all out over three years.

It may look like this:

9th - first 1/3 of Biology, Chemistry and Physics

10th - second 1/3 of Biology, Chemistry and Physics

11th - last 1/3 of Biology, Chemistry and Physics

12th - chose two of the sciences to do the advanced level, especially for my university bound children (science fields)

For the 9th through 11th grades, I am thinking we could do two hours per week on each of the sciences. Is this reasonable?

As of right now, our math sequence is the following, although in Canada, we also don't separate our maths they are all done through high school.

7th - Basic College Math - Houghton Mifflin

8th - Pre-Algebra - Houghton Mifflin ?

9th - Algebra 1 - Houghton Mifflin ? (Are my DC going to be able to handle the first 1/3 of Chemistry while doing Algebra 1?)

10th - Geometry - Houghton Mifflin or Jacobs ?

11th - Algebra 2 - Houghton Mifflin ?

12th - Pre-Trig or Pre-Calc - Houghton Mifflin ? - for my university bound (science fields)

I guess my main question is, whether or not the science can be split up and completed in the way that I have laid out or, not.

Thank you

Edited by Roxy Roller
correction

DD 14 is in 9th grade and has been doing biology, chemistry, and physics this year. She will be continuing all three in 10th and 11th grades using the same textbooks (not Apologia). She does science Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. In total she spends 3-5 hours on science per week and 1-1.5 hours on each branch. In 12th DD will choose one (or more) branch of science to study.

So, I think your plan is very reasonable, but hopefully some more experienced ladies will respond.

DD 14 is in 9th grade and has been doing biology, chemistry, and physics this year. She will be continuing all three in 10th and 11th grades using the same textbooks (not Apologia). She does science Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. In total she spends 3-5 hours on science per week and 1-1.5 hours on each branch. In 12th DD will choose one (or more) branch of science to study.

So, I think your plan is very reasonable, but hopefully some more experienced ladies will respond.

Thank you, Janette. I would love to know which texts you are using. I am glad that my thoughts and time estimations are about right. Did your DD14 do General and Physical sciences before she started Biology? Are you doing Algebra 1 in 9th as well? If so, has it worked to do it simultaneously with Chemistry?

Thank you, Janette. I would love to know which texts you are using. I am glad that my thoughts and time estimations are about right. Did your DD14 do General and Physical sciences before she started Biology? Are you doing Algebra 1 in 9th as well? If so, has it worked to do it simultaneously with Chemistry?

I'm not Janette, but I wouldn't recommend doing Apologia Chemistry until Algebra I is finished - or close to finished. You could separately study scientific notation - which you will get in physical science - and moles, but the math needed isn't practiced much in the chemistry text - it's assumed that you already know the math behind the calculations. Just my opinion. :)

I'm not Janette' date=' but I wouldn't recommend doing Apologia Chemistry until Algebra I is finished - or close to finished. You could separately study scientific notation - which you will get in physical science - and moles, but the math needed isn't practiced much in the chemistry text - it's assumed that you already know the math behind the calculations. Just my opinion. :)[/quote']

Thank you. We would only be doing the first 1/3 of the book in 9th. I guess I need to take a look at it to see if it would be possible, or maybe start it in the middle of 9th and double up on Biology for the first half, so that she would have the first half of Algebra 1 before starting Chemistry.

I think that my sons will possibly start Algebra 1 in 8th, so they might be on track to do Chemistry from the beginning in 9th.

We are using Biology: Concepts and Conncetions, Chemistry, and Physics: Principles with Applications. They are all AP level texts, so this year we have skipped around and done the easiest sections in each.

Prior to this year we followed the 4-year-cycle of biology, earth science, chemistry, physics. DD had studied chemistry in 7th grade and physics in 8th. DD did algebra 1 in 7th grade and is doing geometry this year.

We are using Biology: Concepts and Conncetions, Chemistry, and Physics: Principles with Applications. They are all AP level texts, so this year we have skipped around and done the easiest sections in each.

Prior to this year we followed the 4-year-cycle of biology, earth science, chemistry, physics. DD had studied chemistry in 7th grade and physics in 8th. DD did algebra 1 in 7th grade and is doing geometry this year.

It looks like your DD is more advanced than mine will be when she gets to 9th, although some of my sons might be on an AP track when they get there. I am not a science mom, so I would not have the confidence to skip around in a text.

It looks like your DD is more advanced than mine will be when she gets to 9th, although some of my sons might be on an AP track when they get there. I am not a science mom, so I would not have the confidence to skip around in a text.

I'm not a science mum either. I leave the science planning up to my hubby. ;)

I debated what texts to use for science this year. In the end I thought DD could probably manage the AP ones. When DD 13 gets to 9th in a couple years we will probably use the Prentice Hall science books which are high school level.

I'm not a science mum either. I leave the science planning up to my hubby. ;)

I debated what texts to use for science this year. In the end I thought DD could probably manage the AP ones. When DD 13 gets to 9th in a couple years we will probably use the Prentice Hall science books which are high school level.

My hubby could handle the science end too, if he didn't work 50 hours a week. I am pretty much on my own, although I am hoping he will handle most of the experiments.

In Belgian this is common for the science focused tracks, language focused tracks do one hour each

Thank you. I am glad that it seems that I am on the right track. I am still not sure how much of Algebra 1 is needed for the first 1/2 of Chemistry. I guess I will have to try to get my hands on a text to find out.