Menu

Great Resources for Geography and Earth Science

Fourmother

I have been searching for a suitable Earth science curriculum for next year's 6th, 3rd, and K lessons. Today it occured to me to ask dh for help, since he is a geographer and has taught physical and urban geography on the university level. He suggested looking into professional associations. Why didn't I asked him sooner?! Here's what I've found so far.

GeoSTART This is a free hurricane curriculum from the Association of American Geographers which uses NASA remote sensing imagery and data. Incidently, they have also developed interactive US geography (ARGUS) and world geography (ARGWorld) curricula which look interesting, but are not free.

GeoSource This site from the American Geological Institute lists various free resources for teachers like images, animations, lesson plans, etc.

Geography Club The National Council for Geographic Education offers 3 years worth of lessons plans for use by local elementary-aged geography clubs. The activities are designed to be implemented with minimal materials, just a few wall maps and a globe. Homeschoolers can do the lessons individually or form small groups.

USGS A list of educational GIS (Geographic Information Systems) resources compiled by the US Geological Survey.

Explore GIS An introduction to basic GIS concepts for grades 5-12 from ESRI, the industry's leading software maker. This accompanying poster is used to teach the program, but can be used on it's own

• 4 weeks later...