Menu

Starting R & S in 9th?

I don't know of a placement test. It depends on the background of their grammar. If they've NOT had a strong grammar background, then I'd start in level 6 or 7.

We never considered them "grade 6" or "grade 7", we call them levels, and you work at the level you need help with. My ds now 17 started out 1 level behind his grade. He wasn't ready for that, so we went one more level back. That was just right, and he started really understanding it so much better! DD was 3 levels behind to start with, which didn't bother me. I'd rather they get the info. they need to build a strong base and help them REALLY learn and understand, than be "at grade level"! I was just thankful we'd found something that worked for them! :001_smile:

If the student has had little grammar, or hasn't used a thorough grammar program in the past, I'd start with Level 5. If you plan to continue grammar through high school, I'd suggest:

9th grade - Level 5

10th grade - Level 6

11th grade - Level 7

12th grade - Level 8

If the student is pretty good with grammar, or has used a thorough grammar program in the past, I'd start with Level 6. I'd suggest using Level 6 in 9th, taking a year off, and then using Level 8 (or 7 if you prefer) in 11th. Or you could spread Level 6 over 9th & 10th and spread Level 7 or 8 over 11th & 12th.

Edited by ereks mom

I think that 7 and 8 are the most important books, and they are very complete. If you could look at them at a convention or something you could see where your dc might fit. The 9th and 10th books cover a lot more writing and review grammar, but they are not as complete as the jr. high books.