Menu

arrowroot vs corn starch

I have heard that arrowroot powder is healthier than carn starch, but I just can't seem to make it work in my recipes. For example: I was thickening broth for gravy and when it thickened it also made lumpy, geletin like glops in the gravy. That happened another time when I was trying to make a can of cherries into a pie filling. What am I doing wrong? I used to use corn starch without any problems...but I am about to toss my arrowroot out the window.

Kathy

I haven't used arrowroot in a long time, but did for a while when we seriously did low carb. I remember it having that gelatin-like quality. I don't remember if I dissolved it in cold water first, but I did have to stir/whisk well to avoid/remedy the lumping. Same as you'd do when adding a flour slurry to thicken gravy.

If I recall, arrowroot is very low in carbs (or none?), and cornstarch is fairly high (7g in 1 Tbsp, according to my package). I don't have a package of white flour to compare that to.

I haven't used arrowroot myself, but I know someone who does for vegan ice cream. She recommends making a slurry by mixing 1/4 c. liquid (soy milk, for instance, for ice cream) with arrowroot (2 tbsp--to make 1 quart ice cream). Then heat to a boil whatever it is you want to thicken. Take it off the heat and immediately stir in the arrowroot slurry so that it distributes evenly. You can probably easily adapt this for gravy, etc., though you'll probably have to play around with the amount of arrowroot.

how much less...THAT is probably the problem

Ummm, maybe two-thirds. It depends on what I am making. I'm sorry, I'm not very exact in my cooking. I'm more "A little of this, a little of that" like my grandmother. Honestly I would think the well dissolved slurry step would be more important. And it isn't something you should have to simmer for long. Have your sauce or whatever pretty much finished and at the boiling point then add the arrowroot slurry and stir for less than a minute then remove from heat. It is usually thick and finished by then.

I do make sure it is mixed up well in cold water before...but it still got all glumpy...but I am wondering if I used too much. I will try less next time.

When you add it to the hot liquid (meat drippings, etc), it will get lumpy if you don't whisk it in quickly as it's being added. Same as using a flour slurry.