Menu

Has anyone else used Primary Phonics by EPS?

Dawn E

We have been using this program for a while. Dd first started it in preschool; I restarted the first workbook with her this year. We are about to move into workbook 2. I am just trying to think down the road re: how far I want to take this. They have 6 workbooks. I have never really looked at their ETC program, so I'm not sure how it compares/contrasts. These workbooks seem to move rather slowly. Dd is already able to read the storybooks that go with workbook 3.

I don't mind the reinforcement and slowness, but am curious if anyone else out there is using this or is not for some particular reason. Also, if you have looked at both ETC and Primary Phonics: What are the major differences?

Thanks for your help,

Dawn

I used primary phonics but only the readers. I think the readers are excellent. I bought some of the workbooks but I found them too redundant. My son did Headsprout.com with primary phonics readers. He is a great reader and it was painless instruction.

After looking at the samples on EPS--duh--it appears to me that the major difference is that Primary Phonics requires a lot more writing than ETC. This works well for us: she doesn't mind, and I like her getting the extra handwriting practice.

I'd still like to hear reviews from anyone else who has used or is using it completely through workbook 6.

Thanks again,

Dawn

I think the readers are excellent. I bought some of the workbooks but I found them too redundant.

This is my concern, too, though I do like them. It just seems to take SO long to get through and her reading skills are passing her phonics instruction. She likes doing the workbook work, however. I think I may try to double up on the lighter days (she often does two or three pages by choice on the easier days anyway) as long as she isn't burdened by it. I only purchased workbooks 1 and 2, so I guess we'll finish 2 and re-evaluate then.

I'll look into headsprout as well.

Thanks!