Menu

Which text is easier for a grade 1 student....

Tsutsie

SOTW, History Odyssey or A Child's History of the World?

We are currently using SOTW and even though I'm loving it, I'm not sure if my son will get all that much out of it as we get further into the book (We just finished Chapter 6). Then again, I know that I'm usually pleasantly surprised by how much he DOES comprehend when I think it might be over his head.

I'm just wondering if SOTW is not better suited to an older grammar stage, or early rhetoric student.

Any other suggestions?

I'm not sure, but I did want to mention that History Odyssey isn't a text. It's more like a schedule of activities and readings. You can choose which books to use with HO, but SOTW and CHOW are both options, I think, so I don't know if HO would be any better if you don't like SOTW.

SOTW 1 is working well here, but the early chapters did seem a bit iffy for him. We're in chapter 17 this week, and he's getting a lot out of it now. In fact, he loves it so much that I had to tell him not to read it during math and grammar. :lol:

I used both SOTW and CHOW, and I have to say that I think they are both pretty advanced for grade 1. SOTW is wonderful, but it contains so much information, that I just think you have to race through it too fast to cover it all in a year and forget retension, especially at such a young age. I had switched to CHOW because it seemed like a slower pace, but my dd couldn't understand some of the archaic language and wording. We ended up ditching both, and we now use Usborne's First Encyclopedia of History as a spine to give me chronological unit topics, and I get picture books or graphic history novels or use History Dudes or Horrible Histories to cover those unit topics. For instance, this-coming school year, we will cover Ming China, Russian Rulers, Samurai Japan, and Colonial America. We're sort of in the 1600s-ish right now.