Menu

Mavis Beacon typing tutor

min

Hi everyone

I want to buy a typing tutor for kids, and the Mavis Beacon one looks good. (Others probably do, too, but this is the one that was recommended and it looks just the thing. Other opinions gratefully received!)

My requirements are:

Must be able to run *without* internet access. (Happy to buy online and download, but we must be able to use it without internet.)

Must be able to get it onto my laptop which doesn't have CD/DVD drive.

Must be able to run without CD.

I tried to download the Mavis Beacon, thinking that would be the simplest option, but their website seems to only want to sell to American/Canadian residents. I tried to fill in their online form to ask, but it wouldn't accept it as I'm not American/Canadian.

I know I can get this on CD locally very easily, but (a) I'm not sure if I can get it onto my laptop (b) or run it without the CD and © I can't contact them to find out! Has anyone had any success?

Min

That's our preferred typing program and in the past few months we've used four! We bought it on CD, installed it on our computer, and we do not need the CD to run it once installed. No Internet access needed.

As for a download, have you tried downloading it from cnet?

Angela, thanks. I'd been looking at the new version - the cnet one is an older version (17, I think). Do you know which one you use? I read a review somewhere that - that version - did require the CD, so I'll have to be careful.

Do the kids like it?

Miranda