Menu

Is this a learning disability or ds just being a 6 yo boy?

thundersweet

For a while now i have been kind of worried about my 6 yo ds. He'll be 7 at the end of July. He has trouble remembering things. Like we worked forever it seems on number recognition. He knows his letter sounds now but still working through the multi-letter phonograms. I taught him letter sounds first and now going back and teaching him the names of the alphabet letters. Again, he has most of them now but it takes a while for him to remember. Sometimes he'll hit his head cause he just can't recall.

Yesterday we went to Olive Garden for lunch. Later in the day when i asked him where we went for lunch, he just could not remember. He couldn't remember what he ate either!!! It took a lot of coaxing on my part. lol

Another example....the other day he had moved around two chairs in the living room. They normally face the fireplace. When i told him to move the chairs back he did but he faced them looking away from the fireplace towards the room i was in. I asked him if that was the way the chairs always looked and he pushed them a little closer and said "yep".

Is this just normal for an active little boy or is something else going on? I have no idea how to go about finding testing if this might be some type of learning disability.

Thanks,

Sandy

The chairs thing is what pushes me toward the side of "investigate". The others are maybe borderline -- hard to know without more context. But being completely unaware of the spatial organization of furniture in the home he *lives* in? Combined with a pattern of the other types of things you mention? That sounds like something more than "just being a little boy". (Not remembering lunch? Lol. That could totally be "just a little boy". ;))

The chairs thing is what pushes me toward the side of "investigate". The others are maybe borderline -- hard to know without more context. But being completely unaware of the spatial organization of furniture in the home he *lives* in? Combined with a pattern of the other types of things you mention? That sounds like something more than "just being a little boy". (Not remembering lunch? Lol. That could totally be "just a little boy". ;))

:iagree:

It's normal to forget some things they did that day (sometimes asking him what he did at school that day was like talking to a wall), but the chair thing raises a red flag to me, especially combined with the other things.