Menu

Grammar question

wicki859

Hello,

I am looking at curriculum for my son for next year. We'll actually be finishing up his grammar book in a few weeks and I'd like to just jump right in to the next level. However, he is asking to learn Latin.

We used FLL this year successfully. It went very smoothly for us. He's learned quite a bit. I am happy with the curriculum.

I am looking at Prima Latina. They state that they cover both english and Latin grammar, and I do not want to go into overkill.

What have your experiences been? Would you recommend ditching FLL and just using PL, or would you use both?

Also, how is the ease of use in Prima Latina? I do not have any experience with Latin. I just have a little guy eager to learn that because I told him he needed to do Latin before Greek. He's 7 and highly motivated to learn "ancient Greek".

Last though...the reason I want him to do Latin before Greek is because I figured that would be a better foundation for English grammar. What do you think of that?

Thanks, in advance, for your time and thoughts!

Tina

We used Prima Latina and FLL 3 last year with our ds8. I did not find it to be too much or repetitive. Prima Latina is a great beginner curriculum. My son is just now finding connections between Latina Christiana 1 and FLL4. (He gets this big smile on his face when he catches something that he has learned in one or the other.)

We used the Prima Latina dvds because I was not confident to teach it myself. I am glad we did just for time reasons. I wonder, though, if I could have gotten him through PL without the dvds. It was pretty simple. I know I would not have been able to teach LC1 without the dvds. Lots of grammar in that one. :) It is fun to learn along with him.

As for the Latin before Greek question...I have no clue. I am just following what TWTM suggests. I am interested to hear what anyone else says about that one.

Thanks for your response. I think I am leaning toward doing both FLL and PL. I, also, think I will definitely use those DVD's myself. :)

I'd still like to hear others opinions/experiences, too. :)

I should add, the reason I am questioning this is that the rep that I spoke to about Prima Latina said that I wouldn't need to do both English grammar and the Latin. It really didn't seem to make much sense to me. That's why I came here. Unfortunately, I'm not getting much of a response here either. ???

Edited by wicki859