Menu

Horizons Math questions

Wee Pip

We're quite a bit behind in math, but I sort of have a plan for catching up! We're doing math drill daily, and I think this is going good. I have Math Mammoth Blue download on order, which we'll go through topically to help catch up. I'm also thinking that bringing in spiral review would be helpful too, and have been looking at Horizons. Do you think this would be a good fit, for this purpose? Also, I've heard that Horizons 5th grade book 1 has a ton of review. Is this true? If so, do you recommend going thru the 4th gr book for a 5th grader that is behind, or is there so much review in 5th grade that we could just jump right into 5th gr?

I would take the placement test to decide. If your dd needs the information, you want to start where the info was first taught--the places that have review don't necessarily re-teach the information, if that makes sense. Also know that Horizons tends to run half a year to a year ahead--so Level 5 doesn't always equal "5th grade." A few years ago I compared Horizons 4 to the scope & sequence info for 5th grade in Ruth Beechik's book, You CAN Teach your 4th-8th Grader Successfully, and they lined up almost exactly.

Merry :-)

Hi Sarah,

I don't have the 5th gr. book, so I don't know for sure. You could look at Sonlight's site for samples and I highly recommend using a placement test for any math program (SL also has this on their site). At what point in time are you hoping she'll be at the end of 5th gr. materials? Are you planning on using Horizons for 5th & beyond? If not, I wouldn't worry about adding in the Horizons; MM Blue is enough. However, if you have a hard time getting away from the idea of using something like Horizons, at least the workbooks are cheap.

I agree that topical, systematic review & drill would be helpful so that she can then jump in where you want her to. I overloaded my ds10 last year trying to do this - be careful when using multiple programs (unless she loves math). Flashmaster & Wrap-Ups are great for this too, to break up the monotony.

I would take the placement test to decide. If your dd needs the information, you want to start where the info was first taught--the places that have review don't necessarily re-teach the information, if that makes sense. Also know that Horizons tends to run half a year to a year ahead--so Level 5 doesn't always equal "5th grade." A few years ago I compared Horizons 4 to the scope & sequence info for 5th grade in Ruth Beechik's book, You CAN Teach your 4th-8th Grader Successfully, and they lined up almost exactly.

Merry :-)

We are only in level 1 but I agree with Merry. Horizons has a high focus on drill and review but once they have taught the mechanics the child is supposed to know them. In our case (at the lower level) for example, they start teaching addition using the number line. Of course they are constantly drilling addition and the TG has you drilling it with flash cards also. At some point the number line disappears and the students are called to do the addition in their head. It's a simple example based on the level we are working on but I hope this helps you understand what Merry means. The placement test is the best way to go :).

Edited by Guest