Menu

Galore Park questions

Melissa B

As our homeschool continues to develop, I am VERY pleased with how the Galore Park books are working for us. We are really enjoying devoting the majority of our day to Latin and Greek but getting the basics done well but rather painlessly with GP. The progression in skills through the books has worked well and the amount of info packed into the short chapters has been perfect.

Are there any other programs that are similar to cover subjects not offered by Galore Park such as American history, fine arts and geography (at the lower level)?

Also, I know in England the school subject material is detrmined by the state. I see many study materials coming out now through Galore Park. But where could I get a list of the texts used? I've tried internet searches but I don't have enough information to search effectively. Could anyone point me in the right direction? I feel like the texts used in the US are too watered down, too PC, too bulky with "extra stuff" and not to-the-point information, and there is no progression of skills. I am wondering if the upper level texts used in Europe are different? Or are they similar to what is available for high schoolers here?

Thanks!

I don't have a lot of answers for you, but I'll reply to bump your question if nothing else.

I've been home educating in the UK for years, and found very little published here. Many people buy DK workbooks from WH Smith for the younger years. You can see what they offer here. They are not full curricula imo, not on par with Galore Park's materials, but I really haven't spent a lot of time with them, so I could be wrong. They seem to be intended to be used by parents at home supplement a school education, not provide a full education.

I have one friend who just started home educating, and she uses materials from Schofield and Sims. I have no experience with them, but she like their materials.

Regarding high school materials, my oldest is now in school here. He's struggled with a couple of subjects, and when I asked if they could send a textbook home so I could help him, the teachers just recommended that I purchase these study guides and have him learn the materials in them to prepare for the GCSE exams. Talk about teaching to the test! They've taken it to a whole 'nuther level here.

Anyway, that's all I've been able to find here. So I purchase most of my materials over in the States.