Menu

Independent 6y/o with articulation challenges wanting more

It definitely sounds as if this boy needs more challenging activities. I would not hold him back in reading and writing because of his speech articulation problem.

Science kits would be great for him, IMO. Science in a Nutshell kits are supposed to be pretty good, I think. I would also recommend getting him Snap Circuits (the biggest kit you can afford). Snap Circuits are something he can do safely independently, and they contain many projects from very simple to complex. He can learn to read the directions and assemble different items on his own.

He can definitely be encouraged in art. If I think of it later, I will post the artist development series that I think is very good. It has an elementary, junior high, and high school level version of the course. One book works on drawing skills, and the other on colored work. (Sigh. Sure wish my memory were better..... Maybe someone else recognizes the program and can provide the name.)

I wouldn't hold up his reading or spelling instruction for articulation problems. If the source of his articulation problems is due to mild sound discrimination problems, I would stretch out the troublesome sounds so he can start to clearly hear them as you read together and take spelling tests. I would have been highly frustrated if I had been held back in my reading for several years just because my articulation was poor.

Instead work on articulation seperately. I'd try poetry reading. The pieces can be short and your can work on rhythm and expression at the same time, so it's not just more ST.

For more independent work, try setting up a nature table. Provide a magnifier, colored pencils and a note pad for recording his observations -- and maybe a scale. Then provide a collection of objects to observe and record. You might also provide a child's field guide. Collections you might supply would be a collection of shells, rocks, flowers, feathers, leaves, etc. Change this collection every week or two. His "job" is to observe and record. If he needs more of a challenge, have him look for patterns or differences in the objects.

For his interest in art, I'd start looking for a program that systematically teaches art principles. Because most written programs would be too difficult, you could look for a DVD course. Draw Squad has DVD's (see their web site) that could stand alone as a course. It's seriously teaches the principles of 3-D drawing, however the surface attitude is light-hearted and involves drawing cartoons. It may turn your ds off. He may also be ready for art apreciation at a level considered too deep for most children. You might preview the Sister Wendy series for him. In her original series, she did discuss and show nudes. I don't know if all of her series included nudes. Or maybe you could limit which episodes he watches.

If you're wanting to transform a small corner of your yard into an interesting place to explore, let him have a stab. Ask him to design a good habitat (small) for birds and butterflies. Discuss what attracts them and what they need. Get him a bunch of garden catalogues and maybe a few books on attracting backyard birds and butterflies and turn him loose to design a habitat. If it's good and you can afford it, then mention the possibility of implimenting it.

HTH

He can definitely be encouraged in art. If I think of it later, I will post the artist development series that I think is very good. It has an elementary, junior high, and high school level version of the course. One book works on drawing skills, and the other on colored work. (Sigh. Sure wish my memory were better..... Maybe someone else recognizes the program and can provide the name.)

Are you thinking of Artistic Pursuits? I was thinking of them also, but there isn't a DVD to go with it. I was assuming that the lowest level might be written on too high of a reading level to be done independently, however I havent seen the lower elementary books.

Are you thinking of Artistic Pursuits? I was thinking of them also, but there isn't a DVD to go with it. I was assuming that the lowest level might be written on too high of a reading level to be done independently, however I havent seen the lower elementary books.

Yes, that's it! I haven't seen the lower elementary books either, but I have the others. It might require some initial work together on a lesson to read through the material and discuss what to do, but most of the time is spent independently on the actual art work.