Menu

ASD ds in new school

So, to make a long story short... my 7 year old PDD-NOS son is repeating 1st grade at the small Catholic school where I teach 2nd. It is his first year there.

Our school has an online gradebook that parents have access to. Report cards are pretty easy, as long as the teacher is up to date entering assignments and such. My son earned grades in the 90% and above range in language arts subjects. He completes about 2/3 of his homework (due to behavioral issues), but his teacher doesn't input any homework records online, as does every other teacher in 2nd grade and above.

I see A's online, report card comes... B- in every academic subject. Why the discrepancy? Her explanation is that she didn't believe he was trying very hard. His doesn't do all his classwork/homework, makes noises, and talks out frequently. So, she lowered his grades for lack of perceived effort, even though he tested at an "A" level. All this at the same time he gets D's in both behavior and work habits.

I told her it's like he pays an "autism tax," where he knows the material, tests well, but she reserves the right to determine he doesn't deserve those grades for behavior that can largely be explained by his diagnosis. I'm a tad bit upset.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

My mother and aunt teach in Catholic schools and they told me this is unfortunately the way my son with PDD-NOS most likely would be treated if he was sent to a Catholic school. My husband and I feel that public schools are not an option due to the area we live in so that is why we are seriously considering homeschooling.

Have you talked with the principal? What does s/he say? I say it is completely unfair of this teacher to do that to your son, but a lot of people just do not understand autism.

My mother and aunt teach in Catholic schools and they told me this is unfortunately the way my son with PDD-NOS most likely would be treated if he was sent to a Catholic school. My husband and I feel that public schools are not an option due to the area we live in so that is why we are seriously considering homeschooling.

Have you talked with the principal? What does s/he say? I say it is completely unfair of this teacher to do that to your son, but a lot of people just do not understand autism.

I have emailed the principal, but he was off-site Thursday and today, so it looks like I'll have to wait until next week to get anywhere. I have the same problem with my public schools. They are L.A. unified, famous for being awful. I would L.O.V.E. to homeschool (never though I'd say that), but am currently a single mom with 3 kids. It's just not an option.

This is exactly why special kids need an IPP/IEP, an individualized program plan, so that the teachers, along with parents and other professionals (Speech, OT, etc.) can create measurable goals for the child. The child is then graded on those goals. Does he have an individualized program plan?

BTW, I have experienced this exact thing. My son is in a special class (8 boys with autism, 5 adults in the class) and he was spending up to an hour in the regular grade 3 class for LA. The teacher's (daily!) comments in his communication notebook were very similar to what you are hearing: child being disruptive, making rude noises, getting up and running around, etc. Each day she would write would give me an opportunity to write back something like "ah, yes, that can be distracting. That is autism for you! Have you tried a fidget toy, a wiggle seat or a gross motor break before class?" Perhaps you should send a communication notebook and request daily notes about how he is doing, including the highlights, no matter how mundane. We need highlights, don't we? :grouphug:

:grouphug:

We used to have the opposite problem actually. They couldn't get him to do much of any work at school due to behavior issues but they gave him all A's because, "He's clearly very smart." They didn't seem to know or care whether he was making any actual progress as long as he seemed "smart".

This is exactly why special kids need an IPP/IEP, an individualized program plan, so that the teachers, along with parents and other professionals (Speech, OT, etc.) can create measurable goals for the child. The child is then graded on those goals. Does he have an individualized program plan?

He does have an IEP, but it only covers speech issues (he stutters). His previous first grade teacher at the public school said all he needed was a little redirecting and a tad bit patience and he functioned like every other boy in her class. So, I never had his IEP updated to include anything more than the speech.

Stupid me, though, I moved him to my private school (always the eventual goal) to repeat first grade for maturity reasons only. The public first grade teacher had a hand in that, because she didn't think any of the 2nd grade teachers at her school had the patience for him. Why didn't I work through that and update the IEP? :confused: Instead, I had him repeat at my slightly more advanced private school, where I get to be his teacher next year. Our 1st grade teacher never does well with special needs kids, but somehow I thought it would work out.

Well, this year is almost over. I will have his IEP updated, both for me and the 3rd grade teacher to follow.

So, to make a long story short... my 7 year old PDD-NOS son is repeating 1st grade at the small Catholic school where I teach 2nd. It is his first year there.

Our school has an online gradebook that parents have access to. Report cards are pretty easy, as long as the teacher is up to date entering assignments and such. My son earned grades in the 90% and above range in language arts subjects. He completes about 2/3 of his homework (due to behavioral issues), but his teacher doesn't input any homework records online, as does every other teacher in 2nd grade and above.

I see A's online, report card comes... B- in every academic subject. Why the discrepancy? Her explanation is that she didn't believe he was trying very hard. His doesn't do all his classwork/homework, makes noises, and talks out frequently. So, she lowered his grades for lack of perceived effort, even though he tested at an "A" level. All this at the same time he gets D's in both behavior and work habits.

I told her it's like he pays an "autism tax," where he knows the material, tests well, but she reserves the right to determine he doesn't deserve those grades for behavior that can largely be explained by his diagnosis. I'm a tad bit upset.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

You know, this has been playing around in the back of my mind. It seems like you might have a reasonable case for discrimination proceedings of some sort. Docking his grade because of autistic behavior is a little like marking down the child in the wheelchair for disobedience because he is always the last one to line up or gather for circle time, or whatever. Or like marking down the hearing impaired child because he doesn't look up and put his things away when you call the class to order and his translator has to walk over and tap his shoulder every time. If your son knows the material and does his work he ought to get credit for it.

I agree that you need to get an IEP in place.