Menu

Talk to me about IEW

We have worked through Writing tales 2 this year and have loved it. Well, ok, some stories are kinda long, but otherwise it's gone well for a reluctant writer (and by reluctant, I mean DOES NOT LIKE TO WRITE AT ALL IF IT IS FOR SCHOOL!!!!!)

I have decided to do ancient world history next year, so ordered the IEW ancients theme based writing. In previewing the materials, I noticed that it is assumed that you have the IEW seminar on DVD and are familiar with the method. None of which i have. lol! are we going to be totally stumped next year? i really want to do this. It seems do-able and I have my teaching degree so I do have a clue, kwim?

Please, please, please tell me that it will be OK. I seriously can't afford any more curriculum!

We have worked through Writing tales 2 this year and have loved it. Well, ok, some stories are kinda long, but otherwise it's gone well for a reluctant writer (and by reluctant, I mean DOES NOT LIKE TO WRITE AT ALL IF IT IS FOR SCHOOL!!!!!)

I have decided to do ancient world history next year, so ordered the IEW ancients theme based writing. In previewing the materials, I noticed that it is assumed that you have the IEW seminar on DVD and are familiar with the method. None of which i have. lol! are we going to be totally stumped next year? i really want to do this. It seems do-able and I have my teaching degree so I do have a clue, kwim?

Please, please, please tell me that it will be OK. I seriously can't afford any more curriculum!

Well, it is strongly recommended that you have the main program (TWSS), which is parent training based, if you are using the theme based units. I can't remember off the top of my head what age Ancients is recommended for, but I personally would find it difficult without knowing the "why" and "how" of each unit before using a theme based. That's not to say it's not doable and will not bear fruit with your dd, but would probably be so much more comprehensive with the parent CDs, especially if IEW is something you want to continue with.

I would join the IEW yahoo group and ask over there.

good luck,

lisa

Your dd does not need an SWI before completing Ancients. However, you really need to view the TWSS before starting. It's expensive, but you may be able to borrow it from someone. Some libraries or homeschool groups have copies to lend now. I bought the whole set on VHS here for $50 a couple of years ago, and it's one of my all-time best curriculum purchases ever.