Menu

Help with curriculum- what Ive decided

monkeymama07

Art- Color Theory, baby lambs book of art,

Reading- Pathway phonics, magnetic letters, annd reading aloud(need book suggestions)

Latin- Sing Song Latin

Liam also has a drawing journal he takes on nature walks....

prewriting- printable prewriting worksheets, playdough letters, shaving cream letters, etc as suggested here)

writing- will be HWOT I think when we get to that point

Need a curriculum/suggestions for -

Math (Im think maybe just worksheets and math manipulatives but I do know I want to go with an abacus type system :/)

Narration- I dont know how to do this

History and Science- do you use a curriculum for the early years/grades or themetic units and lapbooks?

Bible- I think just stories and arts and crafts along with some verse memories

memorzation- no idea how to do this

Art- Color Theory, baby lambs book of art,

Reading- Pathway phonics, magnetic letters, annd reading aloud(need book suggestions)

Latin- Sing Song Latin

prewriting- printable prewriting worksheets, playdough letters, shaving cream letters, etc as suggested here)

Need a curriculum/suggestions for -

Math (Im think maybe just worksheets and math manipulatives but I do know I want to go with an abacus type system :/)

Narration- I dont know how to do this

History and Science- do you use a curriculum for the early years/grades or themetic units and lapbooks?

memorzation- no idea how to do this

Math: Rightstart Mathematics--I've never used this...we use Saxon, but I think Rightstart uses an abacus

Narration: Simply have your child retell what was just read, either oral or written

History & Science: I would simply read books in the early years. Here are a few sites with booklists: http://www.amblesideonline.org/ (We use this curriculum)

http://www.bethlehembooks.com/fb_list_1.pdf

http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/history.htm

http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/sciencebooks.htm

Bible: I think your plan here is excellent.

Memorization: I have my children memorize Bible verses & poetry.

Hope this helps!

I'm guessing this is for a K or 1st grader? You didn't post your child's age or school year.

For read-alouds, I pull from the lists by Sonlight and Ambleside Online, plus some of my old favorites and anything I think will pique DD's interest. (These are mostly animal stories like King of the Wind and the Catwings series.)

Math: Right Start is excellent. I recommend starting with level A and doing as much as is enjoyable per day. It's really good for kids with limited writing ability, since there are very few worksheets. If cost is an issue, you can do MEP, just make sure you use the lesson plans and not just the worksheets.

Narration- Ask your child questions about a story you read, like "What did Goldilocks do when the bears woke her up?" It will get him in the habit of summarizing the story.

History and Science- We used curricula, but it's not necessary. For K, I suggest more world geography than history. Perhaps something like Five in a Row, Before Five in a Row or Galloping the Globe will be enjoyable for you and your child. They cover history/geography, science, literature, some art, and LA. A lot of small children enjoy hearing the stories over and over again, and FIAR is ideal for that.

Bible- I think just stories and arts and crafts along with some verse memories. FIAR also has a Bible supplement, if you choose to use it. I didn't, so I can't say what exactly it covers.

For memorzation, use your Bible verses and/or some simple poetry (like short Mother Goose poems).

I forget what age this child is? Is he 4? If so, I wouldn't do narrations yet, but you can ask some basic questions about stories you read. Picking out the important bits is usually left for around 6 years old (both CM and WTM philosophy). Just keep discussion casual, rather than doing probing comprehension questions.

You don't really need a curriculum for preK math. Just work on counting, sorting, patterns (ABABAB, ABCABCABC, etc.), colors, and basic shapes (circle, square, triangle). When he's ready for K level math, Rightstart is great (and big on abacus use ;)). If you want something more workbooky, Singapore Essential Math K is a good choice.

For Bible, you can get a Bible story book. I've been using Egermeier's Bible Story Book and like it. It even has questions in the back that are good for narrations (for my 6 year old... my 4 year old is just now starting to answer some of the easier questions... his comprehension just "turned on" in the last few weeks).

Memorization: Short Bible verses, poems, etc. My kids have only done Bible memorization in the preK years, and that's mostly through their Bible class at church (Old Testament books, New Testament books, apostles, 12 sons of Jacob, 10 plagues, various Bible verses, Psalm 23, etc). At my church, most of these things are memorized in the 3-4 year old class, though they don't expect the kids to have everything memorized the first time around. My 4 year old has his OT books memorized. He's still working on NT books. We skipped Psalm 23 this time, but he'll learn it next year when he's ready for that. Most of these things he's memorized via songs, btw.

I don't do any history in preK or K, except Bible history. For science, I'd go with nature study for sure. My 4 year old is tagging along with older brother's science, but isn't really ready for much science. He does better with nature study type stuff right now.

Art- Color Theory, baby lambs book of art..

Reading- Pathway phonics, magnetic letters,

reading aloud and narration(working on a list of books)

Latin- Sing Song Latin

Math -prek math well just stick with working with manipulatives and worksheets... for K Math I will pick up a Rightstart A and look over and keep on hand for when we hit that point (Ill probably end up supplementing with something else if its not "meaty" enough, my son is a big worksheet fan)

Narration- I will stick with read aloud and ask him questions for now about whats going on in the book and let that work..

History and Science- I think Ill get Galloping the GLobe if Liams not ready Ill set it aside for future use... and we will stick with nature study for science and other themetic units based on Ls interests (my son LOVES the planets we have made numerous solar systems out of various things)

memorzation- I think I will pick a couple poems and see how it goes...

Liam is young and if hes not ready for something Im fine with just shelfing it to come back to .... thats the great thing about teaching him myself it is at his pace we will do it when he is ready ...

now I need to close my eyes and not look at anything else other than what I think I want (or run out and buy them so I dont change my mind) there are SOOO many choices :lol:

this year we are doind

Letter recognition and sounds

art- general play dough, cutting, gluing, coloring, beads, etc

math- number identifying and counting, basic AB pattern, etc

read aloud books

and basic bible stories and easy crafts and color pages to go with them

we also do alot fo science type things (nature walks, solar systems we made one huge mural one for his wall, one that is hanging from his ceiling etc, talked about animals, watched lots of magic school bus and read books and done things nased off the show or book that sounded fun, etc)

history- we havent really touched

read aloud- this year we have read all the percy Jackson books, swiss family robinsons (like 3 times), some magic tree house books, little women,and random other ones - off course weve read lots of little kid picturey books....

The worksheet thing could change a bit as he gets to school age. I think a lot of preschoolers like worksheets because they're often very easy. In actual school, the worksheets start getting hard, and the kid can change their opinion. :) Plus it's not uncommon for a boy to not like writing in the early grades.

My oldest loved workbooks at that age, but for first grade, I've found that I need to really limit the workbook stuff. The only workbooks we're using are math and Bible (just because he brought it home from school and it's well done, so we're finishing it).

Of course, your son may continue to like worksheets. :)