Menu

Ask Dr. Callahan/Jacobs Geometry Question

I am considering purchasing Ask Dr. Callahan DVD's to go along w/ the Jacobs Geometry text. I see that ADC comes w/Electronic Teacher Guide, Tests & Syllabus. My question is, are these (the guide, tests, & syllabus) used in addition to the TG & Tests for the Jacobs text "Geometry: Seeing, Doing, Understanding"? Or, are they in liue of them?

Thanks to anyone who can clarify.

I remember having both the Dr. Callahan material and the answer key book to jacob's geometry. Dr. Callahan has a list of problems to cover in each section. For his tests, he chooses problems that he didn't have them do in the homework. He provides no answers, so you'll need the answer key to the text.

If you go with Dr. Callahan, you won't need the tests that go with the text. Dr. Callahan provides the tests.

Was that clear???

I am considering purchasing Ask Dr. Callahan DVD's to go along w/ the Jacobs Geometry text. I see that ADC comes w/Electronic Teacher Guide, Tests & Syllabus. My question is, are these (the guide, tests, & syllabus) used in addition to the TG & Tests for the Jacobs text "Geometry: Seeing, Doing, Understanding"? Or, are they in liue of them?

Thanks to anyone who can clarify.

They are replacements. I got the idea that maybe they were written before Jacobs came out with his "improved" test booklet? You can view them online: http://shop.askdrcallahan.com/categories/Math/Geometry/

The syllabus is not as detailed as the one we used from MFW. He does have good advice about grading, I thought (including exact numbers of points and when to allow corrections), which I didn't find anywhere else.

FWIW, I found the Jacobs videos posted by Abbeyej here much more in-depth than the Callahan ones.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235452&highlight=geometry&page=2

Mr. Callahan's are okay if you want something brief. I do think he focuses on an item or two that might easily be misunderstood, so that might be just what you need. He also adds some interesting/humorous tidbits to break up the math day. The videos themselves aren't really organized well (although easier if you access them on the computer so you can move to the exact spot easier). And Mr. Callahan didn't answer my emails himself, although the office said I could phone him (I don't phone people much, which is totally my deal).

Mr. Owens allowed me to sign up for his videos at half the price (so $19/month) since he didn't have to correct my student's work. He also allowed me to use his tests/answer keys, and he answered all our emailed math questions quickly. (So did Mr. Jacobs.)

Julie

P.S. I am probably going to sell my Callahan set, if you want to PM me.