Menu

A mixed blessing

creekland

Hubby just submitted our Fafsa for this year. I found out our low income has qualified us for a Pell grant.

I'm thrilled that this will help oldest stay in college another year, but I long to return to the days when we made enough that we didn't qualify. (sigh)

I really am glad that finances don't dictate whether or not he can stay in school though. I'm VERY thankful for need based aid (and the merit aid he got and has kept).

Between the two, he won't have much in loans in comparison to the education he's getting. In many other countries he'd have been out of luck.

Just putting this out there for others who might be financially low and wonder if they can afford college - for current economy reasons or otherwise. Still go for the merit aid, but then don't forget, some schools are generous with need based aid - especially for kids who have done well academically (and this son is not top of the top academically, but he is in the "near" top).