Menu

A question about Wordly Wise 3000 K

mom2denj

Well, I shall try to answer your question with another question. ;) How verbal is your child? I started WW K when my dd was 3 years old (I buy ahead and she saw it and thought it looked fun). We do it here and there, definitely not regularly, but she has retained the majority of the words. However, I would say that about 40% of the words she already knew and about another 30% of the words she had an idea what they meant. So, it is quite easy for her. The first voacab words were: muddy, soil, join, ring, slip, stare, row, dew, strong, and fluffy. I have a blog post here when we started the program.

I like the program and so does she, but if I were short on funds then I would not purchase it again.

My dd is 4.5. She is in public Pre-k and she is very verbal. Do the words get anymore challenging than the first 10? Do you happen to know appr. how many words are introduced in K?

Well, I shall try to answer your question with another question. ;) How verbal is your child? I started WW K when my dd was 3 years old (I buy ahead and she saw it and thought it looked fun). We do it here and there, definitely not regularly, but she has retained the majority of the words. However, I would say that about 40% of the words she already knew and about another 30% of the words she had an idea what they meant. So, it is quite easy for her. The first voacab words were: muddy, soil, join, ring, slip, stare, row, dew, strong, and fluffy. I have a blog post here when we started the program.

I like the program and so does she, but if I were short on funds then I would not purchase it again.

I agree with Christina. We used it and my daughter just LOVED using the K-1 program. However, she knew most of the words. It was easy, but it was fun to color in the book and discuss the cards with mama. In my heart, I knew it wasn't worth it for us, but she loved it so much and begged to do Wordly Wise everyday. Since I already purchased it, I kept going with it.

Here's our experiences with WW K/1, I have a few blog posts where I talked about it.

http://satorismiles.com/tag/ww

So if you are on a strict budget and/or your child already has a good vocabulary, I'd say pass on it.

We just started WW Book 2, which is the first time without all the flashy cards and colorful workbook. Since she loves vocabulary and language arts, she still enjoys it. She has me read the stories over and over (I'm baffled why she likes them so much, I think it's the funny voices I use.) Then she'll summarize the stories by writing them down and inserting her own characters. Last night, I had her listen to the vocabulary words on their website for the first time. Next week, we'll have finished the first 5 units, so we can try some of their online games. Still the Grade 2 words are easy, although there's a few here and there that are new to her. We're going to go through Grade 2 quickly and keep with the program. I bought years up to Grade 12, lol! I bought the extra years because I want to increase my vocabulary and somewhere I read to purchase WW grades 9-12 for myself.

So far, I have to say Wordly Wise has been a good experience overall for our family.

Edited by Satori

Angela, thanks so much for your reply! I will be heading over to your review on your blog. I love your blog by the way! =)

I agree with Christina. We used it and my daughter just LOVED using the K-1 program. However, she knew most of the words. It was easy, but it was fun to color in the book and discuss the cards with mama. In my heart, I knew it wasn't worth it for us, but she loved it so much and begged to do Wordly Wise everyday. Since I already purchased it, I kept going with it.

Here's our experiences with WW K/1, I have a few blog posts where I talked about it.

http://satorismiles.com/tag/ww

So if you are on a strict budget and/or your child already has a good vocabulary, I'd say pass on it.

We just started WW Book 2, which is the first time without all the flashy cards and colorful workbook. Since she loves vocabulary and language arts, she still enjoys it. She has me read the stories over and over (I'm baffled why she likes them so much, I think it's the funny voices I use.) Then she'll summarize the stories by writing them down and inserting her own characters. Last night, I had her listen to the vocabulary words on their website for the first time. Next week, we'll have finished the first 5 units, so we can try some of their online games. Still the Grade 2 words are easy, although there's a few here and there that are new to her. We're going to go through Grade 2 quickly and keep with the program. I bought years up to Grade 12, lol! I bought the extra years because I want to increase my vocabulary and somewhere I read to purchase WW grades 9-12 for myself.

So far, I have to say Wordly Wise has been a good experience overall for our family.