Menu

If You Wanted a Book on Eating Healthier ...

but did NOT want to lose weight (this is for dh, who really does not need to lose weight), do you know if this book/approach is any good?

51zWlY7bYUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Here's his own site.

I've been very interested in his weight loss approach, although I know very little about it, but I need to know if his eat healthier approach is worth getting for someone who needs to eat more healthy but not lose weight.

Any comments, thoughts, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much. :)

Anything by Joel Fuhrman will be good, Negin. He's the author of the Eat to Live book.

Your dh is lucky to have you helping him!:)

ETA: I heard Dr. Fuhrman speak at the NAVS conference in 1998. He said that when patients come to Dr. Ornish or Dr. McDougall with, say, a 99% blockage, they refer them to Dr. Fuhrman (okay, this is what he said, lol). His diet is more restrictive than the Ornish or McDougall programs, and much more effective for people who have severe blockages.

Edited by jld

Anything by Joel Fuhrman will be good, Negin. He's the author of the Eat to Live book.

ETA: I heard Dr. Fuhrman speak at the NAVS conference in 1998. He said that when patients come to Dr. Ornish or Dr. McDougall with, say, a 99% blockage, they refer them to Dr. Fuhrman (okay, this is what he said, lol). His diet is more restrictive than the Ornish or McDougall programs, and much more effective for people who have severe blockages.

Thanks so much for getting back to me on this and for your kind words re: me helping my dh :grouphug:.

I have been meaning to get the Eat to Live book and am considering following that plan, maybe after hcg. I've heard great things about it.

When you say blockage, you're referring to digestive stuff, right? Constipation, etc, correct? Just checking since I'm not fully awake. ;)

Is his diet so overly restrictive that my dh (who still sometimes likes to eat like a kid) will be turned off? My dh is willing to make many changes, but, if it's really hard to follow, I don't know how sustainable that would be.

Thanks again.

Thanks so much for getting back to me on this and for your kind words re: me helping my dh :grouphug:.

I have been meaning to get the Eat to Live book and am considering following that plan, maybe after hcg. I've heard great things about it.

When you say blockage, you're referring to digestive stuff, right? Constipation, etc, correct? Just checking since I'm not fully awake. ;)

Is his diet so overly restrictive that my dh (who still sometimes likes to eat like a kid) will be turned off? My dh is willing to make many changes, but, if it's really hard to follow, I don't know how sustainable that would be.

Thanks again.

No, artery blockages :eek:. He literally has had patients come to him with 99% blockages and he was able to help them (again, this is according to him).

I really like McDougall's diet because it's not very hard, not expensive, and very manageable for families (starch-based with fruits and vegetables -- you give the family oatmeal with fruit for breakfast, whole-grain pasta with veggies and fruit for lunch, and a rice and veg dish for supper, for example). McDougall's is just the most practical, imo.

Fuhrman's diet is serious business: a pound of salad a day, plus a pound of cooked greens, as many beans and as much fresh fruit and fresh veggies as you want, but only one cup of starch (say one baked potato) per day. I think you can have an ounce or two of nuts, and a teaspoon of oil, but I'm not sure. I don't think you can have any animal products, or a very small amount, like an ounce or two. But because it's so powerful, it can clear out terrible blockages somewhat quickly.

For someone with any kind of constipation, it's important to get food moving quickly through the digestive tract. Fruits, veggies, and whole starches (baked potato, sweet potato, brown rice, etc.) all have fiber, which pushes the food right through. No animal foods have any fiber.

I think you will love Fuhrman's books!:)

Here's a book you may like, too:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/store_dt.html

Thanks so much for this and your other helpful replies. Off to search later today. This may be just what I'm looking for.

My dh will follow something as long as it's not overly extreme. He hates extreme. His dad (my fil) is very extreme with raw foods, and only raw foods. Dh is understandably averse to all that. He likes moderation and balance and gets turned off if something is too "out there" or not scientific enough. He's compliant, but up to a point. He's willing to give most things a try, but will naturally stop if they are ineffective. He likes to eat grilled chicken and rarely eats red meat. I can't imagine him not eating chicken. Unless he absolutely has to. Will post more later.

Thanks again. Will also look at your other links.

• 1 year later...

Are you wanting a specific plan? I've been reading Michael Pollan lately. He's the one who coined "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants." I find him to be a moderate approach that pushes what you should be mostly eating, without banning any food group. It's not a plan, exactly.....

"Food Rules" is a short, quick version that expands on the phrase. It is a book of cultural advice that people grew up hearing that is actually beneficial and why they are true. The ones that I repeat to myself the most are "food is an expensive anti-depressant" and "if you aren't hungry for an apple, you're not really hungry." Those help when I'm stressed and craving something. :). "In Defense of Food" is a longer book that covers the "Eat food..." phrase in more detail.

The eat food part deals with eating real food. Cutting out HFCS, trans-fat...eating food that is recognizable and not "edible, food-like substances" that have been overly processed and preserved.

Not too much--That's self explanatory. But it has changed my approach. Eat until you aren't hungry....not eat until you are full.

Mostly plants--he doesn't cut out food groups. He just says plants should be the biggest part of what you eat.

And he doesn't say splurges are bad. Enjoy the OCCASIONAL treat. Here, he points out that some people like the No-S plans.