Menu

Newbie looking for help. Is Enablemath or Enablelearning the answer?

Hello, I am new to this board and to "afterschooling." In fact, I haven't even started yet. Primarily because I'm having trouble finding time to do it. Before school is out. The kids are just not early birds. It would be cruel and unusual punishment. After school is also out; I'm at work. After work is no go because I'm getting dinner ready. After dinner...well, they're toast after that, and frankly, so am I.

I want to do Kumon, but I can't justify the cost for what they offer. I read an article in my local paper about a Kumon-like company that uses Enablemath. Has anyone heard of them? It sounds like a computer based Kumon that the kids could do in the afterschool hours before I come home from work. Was wondering if anyone has used them or heard of them and can offer some thoughts on whether they'd work out for my situation.

I'm also interested in any type of independent computer-based learning like this for language arts as well, if you can offer any advice.

Thanks for the input.

PS: If any working parents who afterschool have any tips and advice on how to implement an afterschool plan, I'd love to hear from you.

Edited by mollydog

enable sounds similar to aleks.com

Are you looking for internet or PC based language arts? Teacher access or not? What grade levels?

Working parents in my area have the sitter supervise the hw and afterschooling.

My MIL helps the kids with their homework now. There's a limit to what she can do so I'd like for some type of PC or internet program that could allow for some level of self-directed afterschooling, especially if they're going to be drills and such like Kumon is. Ideally, I'd like something similar for language arts and other subjects too if you know of any.

My guys are both in the first grade. My goal is to build their confidence in doing the work that they'd see in school so that they better absorb the new concepts being taught, rather than spending the learning time trying to understand the fundamentals.

Teacher access? Assuming I'm the "teacher" I'd like to see what their progress is, but I'm not that picky at this point.

In the meantime, I'm going to research the ones both of you suggest to see what works for us.

Thank you for your help! What a stress reliever it is to have your help!

I've never heard of those programs you mentioned.

It sounds like the only time you have is weekends. Could you work a couple hours Saturday and Sunday? Surely the kids may complain, but you can remind them the other option is to get up earlier on weekdays.

Thanks for your response, Breann. I'm concerned though that weekends only is not enough. In addition, our schedule on the weekends is really erratic, preventing any sense of regularity.

I just signed up both of my guys on Mathwhizz. I'm pretty happy with it so far. I'm setting a time limit on it so that they keep wanting to come back for more. Seems to be working so far (knock on wood!).

Any thoughts on something similar for reading comprehension?

Thanks again to you all!

How old are your kids, Molly? How independently can they work?

If you think about the amount of time you would spend homeschooling after school, the time spent on weekends may add up to about the same or close, so long as you were disciplined enough to actually spend the time. Erratic schedules don't help. If you were to spend a full hour after school every day, you could spend 2.5 on Saturday and Sunday. It may not be as much as you'd like, but unfortunately we're all only human and there are only 24 hours in a day. You can only do the best you can with what you have.

One way I've been able to squeeze in a bit more study time is at bedtime. We read from history and the kids have really come to love it. It may not be the ideal time to activate little minds, but you could spend that time on reading comprehension or math instead. We spend about an hour at bedtime.