Menu

Teaching English to Russian Speaking child(ren)?

plmzk

Hello everyone,

We are a Russian speaking household, but I will need to teach my kids English as well. These two languages are SO SO different. Anyone have any experience?

We have started with learning how to read in Russian, would it be too confusing for DD to be jumping from one language to the next right now?

Friends who have homeschooled in English and in Russian started with Russian when the child was 3. Two years later they added English and the transition was easy: reading in the first language wasn't new, so it wasn't confusing to learn another.

Some of the Russian and English letters look the same, but are pronounced differently, which made us decide to take one language at a time. Ds read English for 2 years before we added Russian. Dd has just started to read in Russian. She has been reading fluently in English for something like 2-3 years.

In our experience, reading in the second language always comes easily.

If Russian is your kids' primary language, I'd suggest you start there and add English later.

Dobro pazhalavat'

Thank you Zaichiki for your reply.

My oldest is 4.5 and we have been learning to read from Azbuka. She is doing well with that. I will take your advise and stay with Russian first and then add in English. I just wasn't sure what would be the best way and don't have anyone in real life to ask about it. Thanks for the welcome as well!