Menu

Suggestions needed for Geometry for 9th grade next year

Hi, all! This became such a long post that I am giving it a second try, and I'll try to cut to the chase this time!

DD will be entering 9th next year, and will be on schedule to take Geometry. I am no longer qualified to teach her math! I need a program that can she can do mainly (and I mean mainly) on her own. I am sure that I can help a little, but I just don't remember enough to be an effective math teacher at this level.

Background: Saxon was used up through 8/7, when the approach no longer worked for her. We changed to Chalk Dust Pre-Algebra which went well, and now, in eighth grade, she is in Chalk Dust Algebra. DD is frustrated and discouraged. She does really well at the beginning of each chapter, where concepts are reviewed and begun. Then as the chapters move along and concepts build, her thinking somehow gets muddied. She spends enough time on the subject that she is doing reasonably well, and will be able to move along to Geometry. Math is surely not her favorite subject. For her, the Chalk Dust program is not stand alone; it requires a lot of additional instruction from me (which is not good, because I don't remember my math that well).

Oh, this is getting long again! If anyone can give me suggestions of programs to look at for Geometry, it would really be appreciated. I am thinking that a DVD program (or maybe computer program) that relies on little parent involvement would be best. We just need to get through two more years, and then she can take a class at the community college -- I hope we can make it!

Thanks a million for any advice! :)

BTW - Almost all of our homeschooling class or co-op options for math seem to use Saxon. Since Saxon has proven to not a be a good fit, I am thinking that those are not a viable options.

AmeliaBinMO

Are you committed to the idea that she must do Geometry next year? Several of board members that have graduated students often recommend doing two years of Algebra 1 starting with an easier program and then moving to a more comprehensive one. It's so important that her algebra skills be solid. It's just a thought. Is she math-oriented? Will she need to have math three or four years for graduation? What course do you expect her to take as her final course?

Are you committed to the idea that she must do Geometry next year? Several of board members that have graduated students often recommend doing two years of Algebra 1 starting with an easier program and then moving to a more comprehensive one. It's so important that her algebra skills be solid. It's just a thought. Is she math-oriented? Will she need to have math three or four years for graduation? What course do you expect her to take as her final course?

For her goals, DD wouldn't be hurt at all by taking Alg 1 in 9th. She is looking to have four years of math. Even though she has been "miserable" doing it, she has kept at it and has truly done well enough to move on. It is her desire to move on to Geometry, and since she has done decently, I believe that she can. Then again, Alg 1 again in 9th is a good option to have. Certainly, another year could only be beneficial. Perhaps I can broach that subject soon.

Thanks for giving me such good food for thought, swimmermom3. I appreciate it!

AmeliaBinMO

Edited by AmeliaBinMO