Menu

combining children in different stages

amandajh

Next year I will have one going into 5th grade and beginning the logic stage. I will have another in 4th grade (but doing mostly 3rd grade level work).

I want to add Latin, begin some logic, and the WTM way of doing history and science with my 5th grader. Am I thinking correctly that I can let my younger one tag along with history and science by giving him books on his own reading level to read and have him narrate/do science experiment pages, etc. at his own skill level using the 5th grade topics? I plan to do SOTW and let my oldest read from the Usborne Encyclopedia of WH and pick library books for extra work. I wanted to use the texts recommended for 5th grade science too and just let my younger read books at his level on the topics and do the experiments with us.

Has anyone else done this and if so, how did it work out?

Thanks,

Amanda

http://teachthemdiligently-amanda.blogspot.com/

Mine are 5th and 4th this year (and my 4th grader is not a strong student).

This is our basic SOTW schedule

Session 1

1. BOTH BOYS- Listen to chapter of SOTW --do questions and summaries (and coloring pages)

2. BOTH BOYS- Do mapwork (from SOTW and more as in logic stage recs)

3. OLDER- one point outline from section of SOTW or Cultural Atlas for Young People YOUNGER- written narration, he is at 3 or 4 sentances now, started the year with one sentance

Session 2

1. OLDER- Read UILHW and KHE and make a list of facts

2. OLDER-Timeline with info from encyclopedias

3. YOUNGER- dictation from history

4. BOTH BOYS- hands on/history pockets (usually my oldest isn't interested anyway, so he works on the encylopedias while my 4yo and 9yo do the hands on stuff)

During the week

5. BOTH BOYS-library books, our books, etc. I pick out books on two different reading levels, usually the oldest reads all of them, the younger reads his books and looks at pictures in the other books

6. OLDER-summary of something he read (although I am not as good about getting this done.)

We also haven't managed to get to any primary sources yet either.

I had these great plans of doing something similar with each section, but part of what makes this really work for us is doing the whole chapter (from SOTW) at one sitting.

Science is similar,

I check out different levels of books for the book box (the older sometimes doing a summar or outline from a book, the younger doing a narration or dictation),

we do hands on things together,

the older does a simple lab report, the younger does a 3-4 sentance narration about the activity and dictation.

Edited by Mallory

Mine are 5th and 4th this year (and my 4th grader is not a strong student).

This is our basic SOTW schedule

Session 1

1. BOTH BOYS- Listen to chapter of SOTW --do questions and summaries (and coloring pages)

2. BOTH BOYS- Do mapwork (from SOTW and more as in logic stage recs)

3. OLDER- one point outline from section of SOTW or Cultural Atlas for Young People YOUNGER- written narration, he is at 3 or 4 sentances now, started the year with one sentance

Session 2

1. OLDER- Read UILHW and KHE and make a list of facts

2. OLDER-Timeline with info from encyclopedias

3. BOTH BOYS- hands on/history pockets (usually my oldest isn't interested anyway, so he works on the encylopedias while my 4yo and 9yo do the hands on stuff)

During the week

5. BOTH BOYS-library books, our books, etc. I pick out books on two different reading levels, usually the oldest reads all of them, the younger reads his books and looks at pictures in the other books

6. OLDER-summary of something he read (although I am not as good about getting this done.)

We also haven't managed to get to any primary sources yet either.

I had these great plans of doing something similar with each section, but part of what makes this really work for us is doing the whole chapter (from SOTW) at one sitting.

Thank you for sharing this with me! I am going to copy and paste it for future reference! I'm glad to know it is working for you. I hope we can figure out our groove next year too. So far in our schooling I have not made my older one do much more than the younger in History or Science. I think I may begin adding a little more to her reading and narration to get her more used to doing more than him. I can foresee some resistance.;)

Oh, what do you do for science?

It is a biology plan I made up- here is a thread I talk about it- http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199456&highlight=biology

I think I may begin adding a little more to her reading and narration to get her more used to doing more than him. I can foresee some resistance.;)

Well- it really takes them a similar amount of time for thier assignments. In the length of time it takes my younger to write his 3 or 4 sentances, my older gets his outline done.

He reads so much faster that having to read the "harder" books isn't a problem (and like I said he usually reads the easier ones also). And reading isn't done together so it isn't as obvious that he is reading longer.

Again even though my older is often writing a paragraph or even two for a summay while my younger is doing more like one sentance of dictation, it takes him so long it doesn't really seem like the older did more work

Edited by Mallory

It is a biology plan I made up- here is a thread I talk about it- http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199456&highlight=biology

Well- it really takes them a similar amount of time for thier assignments. In the length of time it takes my younger to write his 3 or 4 sentances, my older gets his outline done.

He reads so much faster that having to read the "harder" books isn't a problem (and like I said he usually reads the easier ones also). And reading isn't done together so it isn't as obvious that he is reading longer.

Again even though my older is often writing a paragraph or even two for a summay while my younger is doing more like one sentance of dictation, it takes him so long it doesn't really seem like the older did more work

Yep, I can see the same thing happening with us. My older child is ready for a challenge and will easily be able to read and write more. Plus, if I put these things in their workboxes they will not realize that there is that much difference.

You are one smart science lady! Whew, I don't think I could do what you are doing lol

I may go with something like the guide on Easy Classical to help me plan science. I am a big dummy when it comes to anything scientific.