Menu

Truthquest History: activities?

lindsrae

My DD will be starting 1st grade in the fall. For K, we have just been reading books for the most part and doing whatever activities I can cobble together from various sources. We usually do history 2x a week, and she always exclaims, "I LOVE history!" so I want to build on that passion, obviously.

I want a history program that utilizes lots of living books. I've looked at SOTW and MoH, and I just don't think that is the right fit for us right now. I love the concept of TQ history, and I'm fine with doing American history in the beginning, but I'm worried a bit about the prep (finding all the books), and I also would like some help in coming up with activities! I've looked through the samples and read the entire TQ website (I think), and I'm not sure if there is any kind of "activity" book that goes a long with it, or anythings else besides a list of books and an overview of each section. Is there a program for younger kids that is strong in the read-aloud selections as well as laying out some meaningful activities to do in conjunction with it? Is Sonlight what I am looking for? Should I do SOTW and get the activity book? (I've read all 4 SOTW, but I've never had a chance to look at the activity books.) Other suggestions???

You could use TQ and add activity books like the ones Jenn suggests at her Guesthollow site. Or you could just use Guesthollow.:)

:iagree: this is exactly what we are doing. We also add in the TT cd's. Yes TQ is mostly aa booklist but it is really good. I sit down a few weeks before the next topic and search my library online. I make a note of all call#. Then I pull out Guest Hollow schedule and check for any of her books. It does take some planning on your part but it is alot cheaper if you have a decent library. I use GH schedule loosely as a guide. Between the two you really have more than you could ever need.