Menu

xpost: Would CLE 700 be enough to go into Math Relief Algebra I?

I'm not familiar with CLE.

My older dd did Math Relief after failing public school 9th grade and struggling with other homeschool programs.

My younger ds did Math Relief after Singapore Primary 6B. The only "prealgebra" I added for him was a few days on negative numbers.

I'd talk to Mr. Firebaugh. He does say that "prealgebra" is included in his algebra. Most things are introduced from a very basic point (and move ahead to a fairly advanced level of algebra I if you use all 3 phases).

Julie

Thanks, Julie. It was your great reviews of MR that caught my attention to that program in the first place!

I just don't know what to do with my ds. He's 8th grade now and we're working thru CD prealgebra. While he can do the "algebra" parts just fine, I just see a block there with basic things like long division, multiplication/division of fractions.

I think he just needs more time to cement those concepts.

Thanks again!

Kim

Yes, you can never spend too much time on the basics. I had my ds do some drill in 7th (mostly fractions), and he's very mathy. I continue drill alongside the main math program until I'm very sure drill's no longer needed.

Best wishes with your decisions for your young man,

Julie

Edited by Julie in MN

Thank you, I just worry about him being "behind". We have friends that are "accelerated", younger than him and working ahead of him. Its just hard sometimes not to beat myself up that I should have, could have.

But, we are where we are, and I just want him to have a good foundation in the basics.

If I want to start my ds in MR AI at the beginning of 9th, we will not be able to get to CLE 800. Would completing the 700 level be enough? Would you continue thru the 800 then start MR in the middle of 9th?

Thanks,

Kim

I spoke with Mr. Firebaugh today and asked a similar question, and was told that he covers everything and in a very logical way. Starting with the basics, he gently leads students into higher level math thinking, each lesson building on the next.

My dd will be finished with R&S gr. 7 next week and we are then moving her into MR Algebra 1. I believe it will be a great confidence builder for her.:)

I say you can drop CLE 800 and dive into MR Algebra-no problem! I expect my dd to know what will be covered in the first several lessons, but I see it as a time to get used to his teaching style and also work on her speed and accuracy.

Sounds good. Please come back and post a review of MR after you've used it a bit. I don't understand why more people don't use it. I would love to read more reviews on it.

Thanks,

Kim

I most definitely will give a review and will have my dh weigh in as he is the math/science brain.

As for why MR is not as popular, w/o using it or seeing it, I can say it is due to lack of good marketing and a poorly developed website.:tongue_smilie: I may think differently after using it, so we'll see.;)