Menu

KONOS H.O.W.

Kristi,

I used the first half of the middle year of HOW with my older dd, after Beautiful Feet ancients got to be too much reading for her and not enough learning. I used everything with that child :tongue_smilie:

At the time, it was a breath of fresh air. Reading in BF (and the lovely history notebook my dd created) wasn't so bad when there wasn't a lot of literature available, but by the time we got to Rome it was way too much reading and way to little gleaning by my particular dd (it works well for others, I know).

Dd continued her history notebook as we went (like writing her own history text with her own artistic bent) and enjoyed some of the hands-on projects for understanding arch construction and such. I liked that it had ideas for pulling in works of art and all kinds of other interesting tidbits.

I will say that when I found MFW, I realized what I was really looking for. I needed a structure so I knew when to move on in history, rather than delve forever into one interesting topic. I needed to spend less time planning. I needed my child to gradually learn what he needed to get done in a day.

But for a time and a certain child, I liked HOW :)

Julie

Julie,

Thank you for the reply:) Can I ask a few more questions? Did you have to buy any seperate history textbooks, or was it all included? Is there any structure to it, or is it just all a bunch of ideas and you have to schedule/pull it together yourself?

Thanks,

Kristi

Hi Kristi,

I have the huge manual out now, so I can answer any questions. From what you asked so far:

1. Not sure if a textbook is absolutely required, but you are supposed to be reading other books besides the manual. The manual is more like a guide. She gives a whole list of resources (daily, Latin, general, English). The top 3 textbooks on the list are A Picturesque Tale of Progress (her favorite, but out of print), Streams of Civilization, and How Should We Then Live.

2. It's more toward a typical unit study with a bunch of ideas. However, there is a subject of the week and you are supposed to read through all the ideas and choose 7-10 for the week. Most activities are marked with a symbol as to whether they would count towards art, English, history, etc.

Lots of good stuff in those almost 600 pages, but boy am I glad to have MFW's concise lesson plans for my youngest :)

Julie