Menu

MOH Vol. 1

jtcarter14

Depending on the age of your students that will be doing this particular history curriculum depends on the actual supplemental books (if at all any are needed)....

Lesson 1 is about Creation

Lesson 2 is about Adam and Eve

So if you have anything you know that would help explain this better then I'd get something..but the activities at the end of each lesson makes it easier for younger kids to understand them.

I wouldn't suggest any additional books for the first few lessons unless you have middle school - high school students...and they want to study the theory of evolution or the big bang theory...

Hey. My dc are in 3rd and 4th grades. I was under the impression that there was a list of supplemental books in the appendix - books listed to go along with each week of study. I see it in the preview of the contents, and I remember seeing one that my friend has. But she only has Vol. 2.

We got used to having "Book Basket" from MFW, and we have even continued it with SOS. We're just used to (and look forward to) having library books to go along with what they're learning.

Thanks!

Hey. My dc are in 3rd and 4th grades. I was under the impression that there was a list of supplemental books in the appendix - books listed to go along with each week of study. I see it in the preview of the contents, and I remember seeing one that my friend has. But she only has Vol. 2.

We got used to having "Book Basket" from MFW, and we have even continued it with SOS. We're just used to (and look forward to) having library books to go along with what they're learning.

Thanks!

Yes there is one in the appendix. Like the volume 2 list it is broken down by lesson. But I know Maggie (the publisher) paid to have some mom's research it for the 2nd edition, and she asks users don't share it.

The old list for the 1st edition of MOH is in the MOH 1 yahoo group files. It is quite a bit smaller than the new one, but given the order of lessons didn't change it would still be relevant. You could join the group and check that one out, or e-mail me and I can get it to you.

Heather

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I've looked and looked and don't see the printable time line figures on the Yahoo group. Can you tell me where they are? I looked in files, photos, database, and searched messages.

Also, I wanted to use index cards for the memory cards and the time line. Would 4x6 be a good size? The 5x8 are SO big, and 3x5's look too small.

In the introduction, the author says to use a 2" or 3" 3-ring binder for the notes and activities, etc. Could we start out with a 1" since binders are so expensive this time of year (I already have some 1" ones), or will they fill up really fast?

Thanks so much!

The timeline figurines are...under Files, Ideas for Timeline...then Maritza's Timeline Figures PDF..HTH! :) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MysteryofHistory1/files/Ideas%20for%20timeline/Maritza%27s%20Timeline%20Figures%20PDF/

As for memory cards, I use reg. 3x5 index cards and it all fits fine for what I summerize..as a matter of fact there is a printable of summaries for each lesson to help to know what to put on your memory cards. http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/MMw9TTKC4qDm1HjUTR1ybrxWVaUSMdE1h3sG_oUANfmyWSYloLrXsZ669t1C1LJIzdqkp8uj1gqXodkhqnMiXkXbjyaft8z_9adT3PI/Memory%20Card%20notes/Microsoft%20Word%20-%20moh%20memory%20cards.pdf

When using a binder..as we call it our MOH Journal...I only use 1 for both my children. Since it's a subject we do together. I use the reg. 1" binder for now and I will grow them into a 3" if and when it's needed. So far the 1" is perfect for us. We take pictures of all our projects and place them in the journal instead of saving every project. We're HALF-way through MOH1 and are still doing fine with 2 children in a 1". But I think it's because we take pictures and place those in the binder instead of all the activities that could make it fill up super fast.

Good Luck! And if you have anymore questions just let me know :)

Hey,

I've looked and looked and don't see the printable time line figures on the Yahoo group. Can you tell me where they are? I looked in files, photos, database, and searched messages.

Also, I wanted to use index cards for the memory cards and the time line. Would 4x6 be a good size? The 5x8 are SO big, and 3x5's look too small.

In the introduction, the author says to use a 2" or 3" 3-ring binder for the notes and activities, etc. Could we start out with a 1" since binders are so expensive this time of year (I already have some 1" ones), or will they fill up really fast?

Thanks so much!

Here is one set in PDF. This is the same think in jpeg files.

Here is another set, where the kiddos could be more creative in coloring and filling in details.

The rest are mostly photos of timelines or generic figures that you can customize.

I think you can use what ever size you want to. I think the bigger issue is storage. I personally would want both of them kept in order, so you need one of those mini-binders (though I have seen better quality ones that this) or a ring. I use the rings a lot, though once in a while they pop open and you have to re-order everything. With the pre-made binders I always was running out of cards that already had holes punched. With the rings I just punch one side and put them that way....I think I have a sample picture here of our grammar cards.

I didn't do the binders, but I don't see why you can't start with 1". The worst that can happen is you have to buy bigger binders or split it in two. I would just start with what you have for now.

Heather

As for memory cards, I use reg. 3x5 index cards and it all fits fine for what I summerize..as a matter of fact there is a printable of summaries for each lesson to help to know what to put on your memory cards. http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/MMw9TTKC4qDm1HjUTR1ybrxWVaUSMdE1h3sG_oUANfmyWSYloLrXsZ669t1C1LJIzdqkp8uj1gqXodkhqnMiXkXbjyaft8z_9adT3PI/Memory%20Card%20notes/Microsoft%20Word%20-%20moh%20memory%20cards.pdf

Thank you! Those were the ones I was looking for and not finding!

My older kids do fine with the rings, but we still have once in a while when they get to playing with them and the ring comes open. Cards go flying. It is rare these days, but with little kids...I can just...imagine. :D

Heather

My older kids do fine with the rings, but we still have once in a while when they get to playing with them and the ring comes open. Cards go flying. It is rare these days, but with little kids...I can just...imagine. :D

Heather

Yes the ring deal was a nightmare some morning for my very involved children...LOL! It was a race and then we've have a disaster to clean up...hehe...

Heather

I can't open that link. :confused: