Menu

Heart of Dakota

GaHadley

I'm thinking about something for us to use next year. I'll have a Kindergartener and 2nd grader.

The will be Kindergartener is not catching on to any letter/phonics/reading at the moment. I'm going to start OPGTR this week and see if that will click with her at all. I'm not counting on much - I've tried a few things and she just doesn't seem to be at a maturity level for it yet. She can count some, but not well. I intend to try to focus on that for the rest of this school year (and other math type things).

My will be 2nd grader is doing well - almost done with the 1st grade portion of FLL, on lesson 80 something in OPGTR, and would be further if I'd let her. She's reading on about a 2nd grade level, and excelling in Saxon 1st grade math.

It looks to me like (please correct me if I'm wrong) that I could do HOD (the one for 5-7 year olds) with them both, and just do their reading and math seperately (and handwriting for Ker).

would that one be frustrating for my K and/or boring for my 2nd grader?

If you're talking about Little Hearts for their Glory, yes, that could work. If you're thinking Beyond, that might be too much for your younger. Some of the books used in Beyond are at the 2nd and 3rd grade reading level, and while you read them aloud, the content might not appeal to a 5 year old. I encourage you to use the placement chart on HOD's site. It really helps tremendously with proper placement.

My suggestion would be to call and talk to them about your children and what you are thinking. I didn't do this when I ordered at the beginning of the year and placed based on the chart and other suggestions. I think it would have gone better if I had of called and talked with them first.

My suggestion would be to call and talk to them about your children and what you are thinking. I didn't do this when I ordered at the beginning of the year and placed based on the chart and other suggestions. I think it would have gone better if I had of called and talked with them first.

they will be at our conference in March. I'll stop by and chat with them.

I'm going to check out the placement test too. didn't see that when I was browsing earlier :)