Menu

Territorial Seed and/or Richters catalogues

I second Seed Savers! I love them! My favorites are:

potimarron (squash that tastes pumpkiny-chestnutty)

dragon carrot

quadrato asti giallo (huge, thick green bell pepper)

speckled roman (large and luscious plum/roma tomato)

Another site I buy seeds from is http://www.italianseedandtool.com. Their san marzano roma tomato is my workhorse. I also LOOOOOOOOOOVVEE principe borghese tomato (the kind you find sun-dried and packed in oil). Holy moly, are those things prolific! And drying them concentrates and sweetens their flavor. They will forever and always be in my garden.

Another site I buy seeds from is http://www.italianseedandtool.com. Their san marzano roma tomato is my workhorse. I also LOOOOOOOOOOVVEE principe borghese tomato (the kind you find sun-dried and packed in oil). Holy moly, are those things prolific! And drying them concentrates and sweetens their flavor. They will forever and always be in my garden.

Thanks for mentioning these tomatoes. I am a tomato glutton and I grow about 10 different varieties yearly. I am definitely going to check out the principe borghese tomato.

Have you ever grown Paul Robesons? OMG, a more smokey, rich and delicious tomato has never existed. It is the one tomato I will grow every year no matter what. Just thinking about it is making my mouth water!

Thanks for mentioning these tomatoes. I am a tomato glutton and I grow about 10 different varieties yearly. I am definitely going to check out the principe borghese tomato.

Have you ever grown Paul Robesons? OMG, a more smokey, rich and delicious tomato has never existed. It is the one tomato I will grow every year no matter what. Just thinking about it is making my mouth water!

I'm the same way...I grow way too many varieties of tomato. I try really hard to keep it manageable, but I never quite seem to be able to do it.

I have never heard of Paul Robesons...where can I buy seeds?

I'm the same way...I grow way too many varieties of tomato. I try really hard to keep it manageable, but I never quite seem to be able to do it.

I have never heard of Paul Robesons...where can I buy seeds?

I generally try and steer clear of Monsanto ties when I purchase seeds and gardening supplies so I only order from a few select companies.

http://www.rareseeds.com

Baker Creek! Also, Black Cherry Tomatoes are prolific producers and possibly the best cherry tomato ever - I like them even more than Sungolds!

I have not heard of these companies. I buy from Baker Creek when I want a rare heirloom seed. They have some really neat things and the company history is fascinating. The owner was a homeschooled kid who had such an interest in botany and gardening that he pretty much had a business going for himself by the time he was 17. The company is large now and has a historical village that can be visited along with the seed company buildings.

But, I really like Johnny's seeds. They've got 325 organic products, open pollinating or hybrids but no genetic manipulation like what Monsanto does. Everything I've purchased from them as sprouted well.

I only grow three kinds of tomatoes. Romas or the heriloom version of them because they can into spaghetti sauce and salsa sooooooo well. Grape tomatoes (I've tried several varieties and they've all been successful) for dehydrating - we used dried tomatoes for our salads during the off season so we don't have to pay a ridiculous price for organic tomatoes at other times of the year - and one or two plants of whatever big slicing tomato Dh decides he just has to try each year. He likes to have fresh for sandwiches in season. He's the only one of us that eats slicing tomatoes so inevitably, a bunch of his find their way into my canning and they are a pain...big, oddly shaped sometimes, too watery for saucing, tougher skins so I have to blanch longer which creates the problem of the tomato being very hot inside when I need to stuff it into the jars, etc. I am quite admant that this year he not have more than one slicing tomato plant unless he's going to take some to work for his collegues or let the kids sell them at the farmer's market.

Faith