Menu

The Time Machine or War of the Worlds?

Nevermind. 21yodd is visiting and talked me out of both those and talked me into The Scarlet Pimpernel, which I have read a few times (once aloud to dh) and am sure I will enjoy reading aloud to the girls.

....unless someone wants to convince me one of the H.G. Wells novels is a must read, cannot miss option.

Edited by Luann in ID

We loved War of the Worlds. Time Machine..not so much. Ds 20 loved it in middle school and I read it aloud again to dd last year when she was in 7th. She really loved it and reread it to herself later. We followed it up with the movie versions. I have no idea if that book has a similar effect on other kids, but for us it's a hit. It's pretty short, so not too much time spent in reading aloud. YOu could move on to the Scarlet Pimpernel next.

If I remember right, The Scarlet Pimpernel is really long. I've never read it, and I'm probably missing something! Maybe with next dc. Good luck!

Mary

We loved War of the Worlds. Time Machine..not so much. Ds 20 loved it in middle school and I read it aloud again to dd last year when she was in 7th. She really loved it and reread it to herself later. We followed it up with the movie versions. I have no idea if that book has a similar effect on other kids, but for us it's a hit. It's pretty short, so not too much time spent in reading aloud. YOu could move on to the Scarlet Pimpernel next.

If I remember right, The Scarlet Pimpernel is really long. I've never read it, and I'm probably missing something! Maybe with next dc. Good luck!

Mary

Thank you. Maybe we will read War of the Worlds based on your input. Dd said Time Machine was just depressing.

In my teens and 20s, The Scarlet Pimpernel was my favorite book. I am wondering if I will like it so much now in my forties. I think not, but we will see.

Time Machine is depressing. Especially if the student has the maturity and perspective to make the correlations between the story and our modern society.

War of the Worlds is good guys vs bad guys. Our comfortable, secure world vs invasion from a hostile unknown. And the good guys win! Not through any act of human-kind, but through what clearly in the context of the story could be interpreted as divine providence. Enjoy.

Mary