Menu

Homeschooling Gifted Kids

Thank you for sharing your blog entry with us. I have been so frustrated with my DS for most of his life because he is very explosive. You can see him "wind up" and then just explode in front of you. If he can't figure out a problem in his school work, he will get super upset and start crying. He cries a lot when he is frustrated. As a non-verbal toddler, if he couldn't figure a toy out, he would scream and throw the toy across the room. It was a very happy day in our house when I finally got him to say the word "help."

I just assumed it was a character flaw and have never heard of the gifted connection. I think I need to do some more research on this and figure out how to help him and to be more understanding.

My husband thought she had severe hearing problems and we took her to get her hearing checked. She does not answer when someone calls her name. (This was a big complaint from the teachers at her preschool, also.) Still, if you call her name, she won't answer you. 9 out of 10 times, I ask her a question and it seems like she's completely ignoring me. If you get right into her face and ask her, she'll answer...

Really, really intense...will just scream when something is exciting... Actually, screams a lot throughout the day. Screams when something "happens". Always jumping around, jumping off the back of the couch, etc... Only seems to have one volume. :glare:

For a while I was concerned that my DS was autistic or had aspergers because he wouldn't look you in the eye when you talked to him, he would tune you out when you called him, he lined everything up in rows, etc. As he's gotten older, I know this is not the case. His speech volume is also pretty much always "loud." We constantly have to remind him that we are 3 feet away from him and that he doesn't have to talk so loudly. He jumps off furniture (broke his wrist jumping off his bed when he was 4 because he wanted to see if he could fly).

lisamarie -- My daughter's natural voice volume is dramatically higher than most. I never knew what to make of this. We've had her hearing checked too and it's fine. I think it's part of the overexcitability thing. I constantly have to remind her, even now, that I'm standing right next to her and she doesn't need to shout.

• 1 month later...