Menu

I need help with a graduation gift for ds.

I've been putting this off for many reasons. The biggest is probably that I didn't know for sure what ds would decide to do after graduation. He was considering a few other options besides enlisting. He talked with me today, and told me that he still plans to join the Marines. We will probably meet with the recruiter and sign the early enlistment papers soon since he won't be 18 until the end of September and can get some bonuses for being in the delayed entry program.

So, what would be a meaningful and/or useful gift for him? I don't even know what he can or would want to take with him when he goes. We had talked about having a ring made for each of the kids when they graduate with some sort of family crest. Would something like that get in the way or get lost? Is that a stupid question? Dh mentioned the idea of getting tattooes with something symbolic of our family--again, when they graduate and if they want it. That made me laugh because Gothic Gyrl/Toni suggested that on the old board when I mentioned a piece of jewelry. Ds, dh, and I would all go for the tattoo idea, as would younger ds, but I'm not sure about the girls. I also seem to remember something about guys catching a hard time for having tattoos before joining, but that may have been specifically Marine Corps tattoos.

Shoot, I know I'm babbling and not making a lot of sense. If you have any ideas, I'd be glad to hear them. And if you're the praying sort, I would appreciate your prayers as well. I want to be at peace about this, but I am having a very hard time with it today.

Thanks,

Jenni

I was going to suggest the same thing. A nice Bible from the family that can remind him what your family is all about. My husband's Grandmother gave him one and I can't tell you how special it has been over the years. He appreciated it when she gave it to him but it has become so much more special over the years.

May God Bless your family and son as he seeks to serve.