Menu

Math for nonverbal reasoning issues

My Ds7.5 was tested recently by a neuropsych. While she didn't give him a specific diagnosis, she found that his nonverbal reasoning is poor, and that he has a significant attention span issue that would likely warrant an ADD diagnosis if he were in public school. She felt we are doing a great job of meeting his needs at home, BUT I am so flumoxed by math! Actually, he is flumoxed by math and therefore it is an issue for both of us.

He has strong verbal and spatial reasoning skills, so these will be strengths we can use in teaching him, but I am not sure what curriculum would best utlize these areas in teaching math. We have been using CLE, and he is struggling through book 106 in second grade. He needs me with him every.single.minute to talk him through the problems - which wouldn't be an issue if we weren't discussing the same concepts over, and over, and over, with no recognition that this has been covered before. I am trying to make things more visual and do lots of word problems, which he loves, and to make math fun, with games, but really, at some point, he's going to have to get past adding single digits and into the meaty stuff. However, I don't think a little guy this age should have to spend 40 minutes on math...I really can only get about 15-20 good minutes out of this little guy per subject before he shuts down attention wise.

Can anyone recommend something that might work with a child like this? Would Math U See work? What level?

He is a sweet little boy and singing along to himself right now as he plods through problems that should have taken two minutes. I would really like to help him, as he will need these skills in life, and our multiplied frustration does no-one any good.

Thanks so much for any suggestions.

Blessings,

Aimee

Mom to 6 great kids ages 7-20, some homegrown, some born in Korea, all born in my heart.

Schooling grades 2, 4, 4 and 7