Menu

Anyone use IEW AND TOG's WA?

I don't own IEW but it looks so good. I was wondering if anyone uses both and how do you schedule it. Do you do one week of IEW and the next use WA? Or, do you just use the assignments from WA and use the techniques of IEW? or What?

I am also wondering if TOG has enough writing assignments in it. Some weeks it seems to be really short on assignments, but that's with only a cursory glance. If I do use IEW in addition, I was thinking of just adding in the new Fables/Myths book, just because it looked fun.

Any opinions or how to's?

Tiffany

I don't have a how too, but I am leaning towards IEW's Ancient Hisotry based Lesson Plans with TOG'sd WA. I am thinking of doing both, as seperate classes, but I don't know how well that will work.

Hoping someone with experience answers. :)

I don't have a ton of experience yet since we are in Week 5, but the combining of Ancient History (IEW) with WA is going well. Since writing assignments in TOG move rather slowly in the beginning (graphic organizers one week, the paragraph the next) there is plenty of time for my kids to do both. So far I've done one lesson of IEW a week along with whatever TOG suggests, but in a few weeks I think there is a longer TOG assignment and I will just not do an IEW lesson that week.

I like that fact that IEW dovetails nicely with TOG--extra reinforcement on topics is always a plus! :)

I don't have a ton of experience yet since we are in Week 5, but the combining of Ancient History (IEW) with WA is going well. Since writing assignments in TOG move rather slowly in the beginning (graphic organizers one week, the paragraph the next) there is plenty of time for my kids to do both. So far I've done one lesson of IEW a week along with whatever TOG suggests, but in a few weeks I think there is a longer TOG assignment and I will just not do an IEW lesson that week.

I like that fact that IEW dovetails nicely with TOG--extra reinforcement on topics is always a plus! :)

Thank you! That sounds like a wonderful plan and I will get o use both products! :D

Well, I started TOG all geared up to use WA, and I didn't really like it...as much as I hoped I would. First of all, I really wanted the writing assignments to be about the history we were learning, and over half the assignments were not (state notebook, poetry, etc) and so I ended up making my own assignments using IEW lessons for each week. I have liked it even though I have to find my own reading to use for the assignments. What I didn't like about the pre-written lesson plans is that they didn't really line up that well with TOG. All that to say, I am enjoying using the principals from IEW with TOG.