Menu

FIAR with 10 and 5 yr olds

scrapbabe

I've only done B4FIAR, so I am familiar with the programs, but not extensively. I'm only answering because I know what it's like to post a question and hope for an answer. :)

Personally, I would think age 5-10 is a pretty big gap. FIAR is for ages 4-8. Beyond FIAR is 8-12; you are into chapter books then. Unless you can do some great modifications I don't know that it would work the best to do them both together.

On the other hand, I've not used FIAR at these levels, so I may not be one to speak.

I would suggest separating. The activities in the FIAR books vol 1 and 2 are perfect for the 5 year old. Volume 3 is a little more involved and we never did any volume 4, so I can't address that one. Now the beyond would be wonderful for the 10 year old. I own volume 1 intending to use it with my daughter, but something else came along. It is very meaty and has much information with each chapter book.

I also used homeschoolshare a lot with FIAR and enchantedlearning. Both are great resources to make it a little more fun and easier.

You can combine them, but you would need to make adjustments so the 10yo or the 5yo won't get bored.

I participated in a FIAR co-op for several years. We seperated them out, but since there were siblings we tried to make a theme for the 2 classes. When the older class was doing Helen Keller they did an eye disection. We tried to match a book up with the younger crowd so those that wanted to go over during that time could.

We have done a seasons/holiday theme, an around the world theme, and an around the US theme.

I really can't imagine doing them together. The 5yo would do FIAR and the 10yo would need BeyondFIAR. .... FIAR is a very sweet preK/K program. Personally, I wouldn't do it much past that (although I know they say you *can* do it with 7 and 8 yos, I think you'd have to add a LOT). I haven't used BeyondFIAR...