Menu

"key to" series question

squirtymomma

I'm tutoring a 6th grader who is using the CMP (Connected Mathematics Project) curriculum. She is literally in a class of 43 kids, handed a textbook (with no explanation of concepts or example problems) and asked to work through it at her own pace. No instruction, but there are various people walking around answering questions. She said the main teacher will explain concepts, but everyone else just "gives her the answer". From the quick research I've done, it looks like the whole year is working on fractions, decimals, and percentages. I'm thinking about buying the Key to Fractions, Key to Decimals, and Key to Percentages books for myself, and working through them with her. What all do I need? Do I need the "Answers and Notes"? Any ideas on how I might work through them with her? Is there anyone that sells these with free shipping?

I've used Key to Fractions and some of Key to Decimals with two of my children, and I found it very convenient to have the answer books. They're not very expensive, so they're worth it to me.

I use the Key to ... books in two ways: 1) as a summer math program (very portable and self-teaching), 2) as a way to help a student approach a topic from another point of view than his or her regular math curriculum. For the most part, I like to let the student work through it on their own, helping only when needed. Considering you would be in a tutoring situation, you'd probably want to have a different approach.

I ordered a big batch of books late last spring, and the best deal I found was just ordering directly from the publisher.

HTH,

Tiffany