Menu

Sonlight Grammar 6 (or 5)

Grace Academy

Has anyone used this program yet? I am thinking of using this next year with my daughter, she has used R+S for 3 years so we were thinking of taking a year off. I would love to hear reviews before purchasing.

Are you using Sonlight for history? While it isn't unheard of it is unusual to use SL LA separate from the core, because the readers tie directly to the history. If you are using SL for history, generally people use the LA attached to the core they are using.

That said it is based on Ruth Beechick philosophy, which is generally relaxed in grammar and focused on creative writing. What grammar it does cover is usually spiral, introducing all topics at the beginning of the year then reviewing them at random through the rest of the year.

Overall there is nothing wrong with it, especially for abstract learners. You can add grammar if that is a problem. Some people find the writing doesn't hold your hand enough and others find what is there to be enough. Maybe it depends on how it fits the child? It worked great for my oldest, who is abstract, ok for my 2nd dd who is more concrete, and my 3rd dd did learn the material, but can't remember the terms, because she really needs something more sequential. So you ask her what a synonyms is and she will look at you like you have four heads, but tell her that it is a word that means the same thing and she will find one for you. :D

I have not actually only used LA 5 or 6, only the K-2 levels, but I used to be a hard core SL and RB fan, so I know more than I should. :D Also keep in mind that with LA 7 the LA is more independent, but folded into the core IG, so you can't buy it separately. Same with all the higher levels.

Heather

Thank you very much for your reply, Heather. I use Sonlight for History, but not the entire program. They have a new grammar set out, well I think it is new, perhaps it is just renamed. :P

Yes the Grammar 5 and 6 are new to me. They are spiral, so as long as your student does well with spiral, they will be fine. I think that is an excellent solution, to give people who want more grammar an optional workbook.

If my kids did better with spiral I would try to find a way to make it work here.

Heather