Menu

Bed bugs and hotels?

Guest Cindie2dds

I have been dealing with this more and more on my trips. (I'm a flight attendant)

What I do ~

I don't bring my luggage into the room until I pull back the covers all the way on both beds. Look very closely. There will be evidence. If you see any tiny black things, or anything that doesn't look clean, request another room immediately. Keep your suitcase on the stand in the room, never on another bed. I also check under the beds, behind the curtains, in the bathtubs, just for security reasons.

If you don't see anything and you still get bed bugs ~

Keep all your clothes in a plastic bag. Take them to the washing machine immediately. Take the clothes off you have on and put them in the washer also. Leave your suitcase and shoes outside in the sun for 3 days. I have never brought them into my house even though I've gotten bit because I follow this.

There aren't any sprays I would feel comfortable with to spray if I'm going to be sleeping on it.

If you knew you were going to be spending some time in a hotel where there was a chance of bedbugs...what would you do to prepare the room?

Are there any sprays and such?

Here are a couple good articles

How to Avoid Bed Bugs Hotels

How to Check Your Hotel Room for Bed Bugs in Under 10 Minutes

The short answer is I would check the room, and if there's any evidence of bedbugs, I wouldn't stay there. We are going to start keeping our bags up on hard surfaces and in hefty bags. We travel very light, so this shouldn't be too much of a problem.