Menu

Dyslexia and social cues

I'm asking this here because I'm wondering if this issue is related to my ds's language based learning disability.

My 10 year old son seems to think it's hilarious when people are trying to have a serious conversation or get upset with him. This, of course, just causes the situation to escalate until things are totally out of control. He doesn't seem to understand that when people are angry it really isn't a laughing matter. He doesn't seem to get social cues in general, and has lots of trouble making and keeping friends. I really don't think he's acting like this just to be a stinker, I think he just doesn't get it.

Anyone else experienced this? Do you have any suggestions for teaching him how to respond appropriately when someone is trying to have a serious conversation with him? Thanks.

Social skills deficits are not typically present with only dyslexia. Has your son had a full neuropyschological evaluation? Definitely tell the neuropsych that he doesn't seem to be reading social cues. Working on the social skills training will be the most important thing you can do for your son's future. Recognition of facial cues and social skills can be trained to a large extent. Speech and language pathologists work with language pragmatics, which covers some of what you are describing.

Social skills groups can be very helpful. Occupational therapy practices often run them. That way, he gets his therapy in a group.

There is a chapter on social skills in Tony Attwood's book on Asperger's that is quite good and applicable across diagnoses.

I agree with Laurie4b. A social skills problem such as you describe is not typical of dyslexia. Dyslexia can co-exist with other problems, though. It would be a good idea to get additional evaluations to determine where the social inappropriateness is coming from.