Menu

Is Spielvogel's Glencoe World History adequate?

I have been reading all of the posts on this board about Spielvogel's World History, The Human Odyssey, and considering using it instead of the Glencoe text I had previously considered. Then I realized that the Glencoe one is written by Spielvogel! Could it be the same book, do you think? Or nearly so? Has anyone used it? (I can get it on CD-ROM which I prefer for our boat re: space/weight). The Glencoe one is co-sponsored by National Geographic, which I hope means it has lots of good maps and photos. What do you think? Adequate?

Here's the description:

Glencoe World History

©2005

Hardcoverspacer.gificon_addtocart.gifAdd Student Edition to Cartspacer.gifTable Of Contentsspacer.gif

What makes a great world history textbook? Thorough scholarship and an engaging story

Glencoe World History is a full-survey world history program authored by a world-renowned historian, Jackson Spielvogel, and the National Geographic Society. Experiencing world history and understanding its relevance to the modern world is the goal of this program. The program addresses the importance of motivating students and engaging them in meaningful learning—learning that links the past with issues confronting young people today.

Glencoe World History addresses student learning on many levels and encourages the reader to become actively involved with the beautifully presented content.

Another option would be the Duiker/Speilvogel World History text. This is a university text but I'm finding it works well for my grade 9 good reader. We got the full version (it's available in several editions by time period) and will use it over 4 years. Here's a link: http://www.thomsonedu.com/cengage/instructor.do?codeid=5F8A&sortby=copy&type=all_radio&courseid=HI02&product_isbn=9780495050124&disciplinenumber=21&codeFlag=true . This is available electronically at ichapters.com.

This is probably not enough info for 4 years--we're adding in documentaries, research projects and some additional books. It makes a good spine, however. You'll be in some interesting places--perhaps you can use it as a spine and add in details as you visit different places. I would definitely add in "Guns, Germs and Steel"--but probably not at the grade 9 level.

I don't know how it's different... that was my question. The table of contents (see link in my post above) looks the same as the t.o.c. someone posted recently here from History Odyssey. But I've never seen History Odyssey so I wondered if anyone thought the Glencoe version was OK. I can get it on CD-ROM which is good. Anyone?

I used HO for my oldest. The younger one is in ps and they use the Glencoe version.

The Glencoe version is newer but with the NG tie in, I seems they took out text and put in pictures. But, I am not sure if it is any better because of it. When I glanced at it, it also seems like they took out a lot of the chapter review questions (we used those for review or tests in HO).

The younger one prefers HO and reads that one when he has assignments from school. He has found things in HO that were not in the Glencoe version.

I can ask him to bring it home and then I can compare them side by side to give you more detailed information.

Wow, susan, if you have a chance to look at them side-by-side that would be incredibly helpful!!!!!

I'm really on the fence about which text to use for World History... I'd been debating Spielvogel's Western Civ versus WO (because DD is pretty bright) but then the option to get the Glencoe one on CD-ROM is so appealing, since I'd rather use my meager weight/space allowance on the boat for lots of literature!!

Thanks for your kind offer!

I had this Glencoe text when we first started homeschooling. I believe it's for jr. high and the writing is meant so that a 5th grader could read it. I thought it was great at first-I was blinded by the bling of all the maps, the foldable learning ideas by Dinah Zikes, the literature pages and the pretty pictures, but then found it to be overly busy. Plus dd had a hard time focusing because of too much going on on the pages. Also, the topics really aren't covered in that much detail.

I also have the Spievogel/Duiker World History book, and this is what we will be using for highschool. There are no review questions in the book, but it does have several maps, additinal reading suggestions and a timeline for each chapter.

So in answer to your question, I don't think the Glencoe text would be adequate for a smart 8th grader or any highschool student.

HTH

LunaLee,

Really, Glencoe's WORLD HISTORY, with the Pharoah on the cover? (see here and here) It's listed as the high school World History text on their web site (they have other World History texts with different names for middle school). If you're really talking about the same book, then FORGET IT. My dd can't stand things that are too easy. She is a high-level reader and likes to be engaged (although not bored by dry material, a fine line sometimes).

Gee, if the standard high-school level texts are as remedial as you are saying........Maybe I need to use an honors or AP-level text instead, like Bentley's Traditions and Encounters or Palmer's History of the Modern World, or Spielvogel's WEstern Civilization...... any thoughts?

Since we'll be travelling around the world while we're home schooling, I want to split World History up over 3 years so that we can study the areas we're travelling in. I'll have supplemental materials but want a good backbone text for overview!!

Thanks

Stacey

PS Susan, sorry your son is sick! If LunaLee is talking about the same book, though... it might be a waste of your time to compare them. Let's see what she says, confirms if it's the same book....

Sorry...No, I had the other one, the jr. high one. But...to be honest with you, if she is still a high level reader you would be better off with one of the Thomson Publishing texts or the other Spievogel texts. Hopefully, Susan can get a hold of it and tell you what she thinks.

Sorry for the confusion.

Since we'll be travelling around the world while we're home schooling, I want to split World History up over 3 years so that we can study the areas we're travelling in. I'll have supplemental materials but want a good backbone text for overview!!

Thanks

Stacey

PS Susan, sorry your son is sick! If LunaLee is talking about the same book, though... it might be a waste of your time to compare them. Let's see what she says, confirms if it's the same book....

If you plan on taking 3 years, then I would go for Spielvogel/Duiker World History (not the essential version), a college level text as a spine. Western Civ. is an AP European History text which will not give you any other parts of world history. It also has a companion site where the student types in answers and then emails them to you. I found sites that have that feature incredibly helpful to use as tests or to check reading and understanding.

http://academic.cengage.com/cengage/instructor.do?product_isbn=9780495050124&codeid=5F8A&disciplinenumber=21&courseid=HI02&sortby=copy&type=all_radio&codeFlag=true&maintab=About_the_Book&subtab=Overview

At least that is JMHO.

Thanks folks. I did a bunch more research yesterday on this subject, googling texts used for AP and honors world history classes, reading reviews, etc. I think my list is now narrowed down to:

World History (Spielvogel & Duiker)

Traditions & Encounters (Ziegler & Bentley)

The Earth and Its Peoples (Hirsch & Bullet)

I am still considering the Glencoe Spielvogel World History, though, so a comparison would be AWESOME to have if Susan has time to do so. No hurry on this, at all!! My thinking is that I will be supplementing with specific texts for different regioins that I want to concentrate on (e.g. Global Studies units on Latin America and Africa rec'd on the AP web site, Teaching Company lectures on same)... so maybe having a less-intense spine book is OK? My only concern with the college-level texts is that we'll be starting this in 8th grade at age 13.... and I don't want to overwhelm her by starting out too scary!! (On the other hand, don't want remedial either, she'll hate it. So, Susan's comparison will be very helpful!)

I continue to welcome all you comments on this!!

Stacey