Menu

Rhymes Tables math program w/multi-sensory approach

DS has trouble holding things (like math facts) in temporary memory. Learning these facts through all traditional means has failed. We read a review on a product called Rhymes Tables in a homeschooling magazine, and thought that we'd give it a try.

I had a few problems actually ordering the materials...they had trouble getting my shipping info via Paypal, and then after having it verified lost the order entirely. When I called a 3rd time and brought it to their attention, they were VERY apologetic, promised to ship immediately and include a refund for postage. 5 or 6 days later, we finally got it, but there was no refund check....

BUT....it really works!:tongue_smilie: It has a little flipchart book that puts a sort of picture story and rhyme to every math fact. My DS had no trouble mentally hearing/visualizing the rest of each rhyme as I covered 1/2 of it...from the rhymes, he derives the math fact.

If you do not suffer from the problem that he has, it seems impossible to learn the facts from the little rhyme/pictures, but he DOES have the problem,and it DOES work for him!!!

You can look at it yourself if you simply google rhymes tables.

• 2 weeks later...

As I'm discovering, you are correct. He's remembering the pictures and the facts, but it takes a while to call them up. On the other hand, before this program, he would have to skip count or add to COMPUTE the multiplication fact as he COULD NOT remember them from drilling! It DOES take a while, but at least now he has a tool to use in remembering them.:iagree:

As I'm discovering, you are correct. He's remembering the pictures and the facts, but it takes a while to call them up. On the other hand, before this program, he would have to skip count or add to COMPUTE the multiplication fact as he COULD NOT remember them from drilling! It DOES take a while, but at least now he has a tool to use in remembering them.:iagree:

I agree with you totally about our ds's now having the tools to remember. This method was the only way my ds could remember the facts. It's just that I thought after completing the program, I wouldn't need to drill him. Foolish me! lol

The next fall I had to reteach the stories and then start daily drill with him for over a year. However he learned the stories much faster the second time :)