Menu

Here comes the pain - an electric blanket question

So, I've got hereditary osteoarthritis in both knees and my hands. The hands are most of the time pain free. A hard squeeze will hurt and I can no longer make a tight fist.

The knees are something else entirely. It is 34*F outside. We've the heat on but still I have a pain in my right knee. And here goes the left.

As I age it is getting worse. It comes on earlier in the year, lasts longer through spring and not painful one knee at a time. In the past I was okay keeping the pained knee under a heating pad while I was sitting. Now I'm thinking I might ought to invest in a twin size electric blanket which will only take up one outlet. I can keep both knees warm that way, and will be able to continue with minimal medication.

My question is, which brand of electric blanket is good? I've never purchased one before. What should I look for when buying one? Can I get one from Wal-mart that will last more than one season or should I order from someplace like Macy's?

Thanks

As I type this, I have my Sunbeam electric blanket on! We have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-Electric-Warming-Blanket-Control/dp/B0006ITRC8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1287548832&sr=8-4

It has a controller for both sides, so dh can have it warmer than I or vice versa. This will be our fourth cold weather season with it, and it is still in excellent shape. It is machine washable (just follow directions). I highly recommend it!

I sure hope it will help with your pain.

No matter which brand you buy, save the receipt so when it refuses to work, you can get another one under the warranty (usually 5 years).

I think manufacturers are making them in China now. I've bought several name brands at several different stores during the last decade, and it is a rare blanket that makes it past 2-3 years.

No matter which brand you buy, save the receipt so when it refuses to work, you can get another one under the warranty (usually 5 years).

I think manufacturers are making them in China now. I've bought several name brands at several different stores during the last decade, and it is a rare blanket that makes it past 2-3 years.

That is what I'm afraid of. I guess I'll keep receipts.