Menu

Photographers: please help!

specialmama

My in-laws are driving me crazy!

We bought them a photo package from a professional photographer who is also an acquantance. They loved the online proofs and chose one particular pic to be their 20Xsomething massive one, and for a 5x7. They chose it because they liked the background of flowers. So the pictures arrived and the 5x7 is about 99% the same as the proof, just cropped down a little. The 20xsomething they are not happy with at all because it is cropped more. I took photography in college but I don't remember exactly what happens. I've said 1) trust the photographer that she chose what looks best. They think the flowers in the background look better than they do. :001_huh: Ok. So 2) I told them that dimensions differ from size scaling. They are not understanding this. What can I say? Can someone give me simple words here? English is not their first language and I'm ready to scream! This is standard stuff here, every photographer crops to fit the size ordered... arg! :banghead:

It all depends on how she cropped the original proof. If the proof was cropped in a 5x7 ratio, then that would explain why the 5x7 print is similar in crop to the proof.

A 5x7 crop is going to be wider and shorter then a 16x20 (I'm assuming the larger print is a 16x20). They're two different ratios and therefore are going to look different.

In the 16x20 she may have cropped in closer assuming that you wanted the focus on the subject while making sure that the image retained a nice composition. If the flowers in the background were an integral component for you, it's probably a good idea to tell the photographer before he/she crops and then ask to preview the new proof before the print gets ordered.

Here are two examples of the same image cropped in a 5x7 ratio and then in a 16x20 so you can see the difference in the two crops.

post-17249-13535083940527_thumb.jpg

post-17249-13535083940681_thumb.jpg

post-17249-13535083940527_thumb.jpg

post-17249-13535083940681_thumb.jpg