Menu

lacto-fermented mayo

I just saw a recipe for this and am very interested. However, I've never fermented anything or made homemade mayo. Could someone tell me how you can be sure that salmonella, or any other kind of spoilage is not an issue? Has anyone made this before?

We've been slowing replacing conventional foods with more natural and homemade ones and this seems so simple, but I don't want to kill us. :tongue_smilie:

I've never seen a l-f mayo before, but have for lots of other things - ketchup, pickles, etc. Had to go look it up on GNOWFGLINS.

I get the science behind it, and it's only a 7 hour fermentation for mayo compared to 12-36 hours for other products. Then since it's to stay refrigerated after, I, personally, wouldn't worry over it. Read in the link above and it explains the science behind it.

I've never seen a l-f mayo before, but have for lots of other things - ketchup, pickles, etc. Had to go look it up on GNOWFGLINS.

I get the science behind it, and it's only a 7 hour fermentation for mayo compared to 12-36 hours for other products. Then since it's to stay refrigerated after, I, personally, wouldn't worry over it. Read in the link above and it explains the science behind it.

This is where I saw the recipe, but I don't see anything about the science behind it, and I really want to know why salmonella would not be an issue with this. Does lacto-fermentation kill bacteria?