Menu

Literature Guides?

Negin

First, do you use them, or do you plan to?

Second, if so, what do you like or dislike?

I like user-friendly for me and minimal prep work :) - as in workbook format, if at all possible.

I prefer secular.

I would love to eventually focus on British Literature as my dc get older - Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, etc. But that's for later, not now.

I have been looking at Portals to Literature in Rainbow Resource. I guess I need to spend more time reading up those pages in the catalog. The only reason I ask is that my ordering time is quite limited.

Thank you.

So far this year I have not used any specific lit guides because we are using TOG and they provide lit assignments.

In the past I have enjoyed Progeny Press, Teacher Created Resources and L-I-T (Literature in Teaching) Guides. Of those three Progeny Press is not secular, but you could always skip the bible questions. I don't have a favorite - it all depends on the book. Teacher Created Resources often includes hands on activities, but on the annoying side there are also group activities because they assume classroom use.

I love literature guides. I don't use them all the time, though. We go through a couple in a year, and I especially like them for books that the kids might be likely to find difficult. We can break the reading down into smaller chunks, flesh out all the hard parts, etc.

I recently found some awesome guides - I just ordered the Austen/Bronte set and a few others:

http://www.mcdougallittell.com/store/ProductCatalogController?cmd=Browse&subcmd=LoadDetail&imprint=sh&ID=1007500000077577&frontOrBack=F&division=M01&sortProductsBy=SEQ_TITLE&sortEntriesBy=SEQ_NAME#order

Here are the free lesson plans:

http://saxonhomeschool.hmhco.com/en/homeschool-rsrc-libsguide.htm

They are available for rent from homeschoolbookrenter.com (scroll to the bottom of the LA page).

For workbooks, I really like the guides from Veritas Press. Those are available from homeschoolbookrenter, too and I just ordered a few. (I have no affiliation with that site, I just like it!) ;)

Thank you, both. :)

For workbooks, I really like the guides from Veritas Press. Those are available from homeschoolbookrenter, too and I just ordered a few. (I have no affiliation with that site, I just like it!) ;)

Is Veritas secular?

Thanks so much.