Menu

I'm loving Singapore

bbrandonsmom

Whoop. I know we've only been using it 2 weeks, (with MM samples prior, and misc stuff like counting by 2's and some playing around with counting blocks), but I love it!

Ds likes it too. He likes that he can do writing and then some pages he gets to color on :) And he's getting it. We did making tens with oranges the other day, and then yesterday tried the number cards and making the sums of 6, 7,8,9 & 10. He did all of them-thought it was a great game. There's about 5 he gets stuck on, though we do a daily review at the start of each lesson-he reads a sheet with the problems and sums for memorization.

Today he was doing the page where he colors in the flowers that add up to the sum-he got them all right, made one mistake and then crossed it out. It's neat to see the thought process of his going from using objects to using his fingers and to knowing the answer.

I know it's going to get harder. I finally looked at the whole year-wow a lot is covered, but it looks like a good approach. I hope we still like it in a few months :)

We've been using Singapore since early bird math and I was tempted to switch to MM when rave reviews of it show up so much lately. However, we didn't change and stick to Singapore and now my kids are progressing really well. Ds 7.9 is almost done with 3A and is really getting him times table down (with additional flash card drill daily when we get to the multiplication part of the book) and ds5.5 does math mostly mentally/orally and is ready to move on to 2A. I am done with being tempted.

You do need to add some drills to get the math facts down. Otherwise, you are fine and don't need another math program.

This is our first year homeschooling. My daughter and I have enjoyed games and pencil puzzles for years, so it's not a big surprise that Math has been her favorite subject so far by a wide margin (over life science). What is surprising is how much my wife is enjoying it, as she is a mathophobe. I have a (secondary) math education background and have been helping my wife with instructional prep and worksheet assignments, and I work with my daughter on the weekends on the particularly tricky CWP and IP problems.

As much as my daughter enjoys the TB/WB/CWP/IP work, what she and my wife enjoy most are the activities in the HIG. We have a lot of fun manipulatives we use from my game collection, and I create new puzzles and games to supplement the material in the book. My daughter is always asking for more. So far we are very pleased and enthusiastic about Singapore Math.