Menu

School today...

We built a 3-D model of Falling Water (the Frank Lloyd Wright building, which dh objects should be Frank Lloyd Weber, but that's why he's not hs'ing).

Then we did an experiment w/ static electricity while studying Edison. I wanted the kids to make a poster to go w/ it, so to that end, they read about static electricity in a couple of different encyclopedias.

Turns out, copy machines work off of static electricity (ETC), so ds started building a model (non-working, lol) of a copy machine. We've got a xerox box (ironcially) w/ an empty oatmeal carton for the drum, etc sitting on the dining table along w/ a poster of two electrocuted cats. (I'll have to talk to dd about that in the AM.)

This year is turning into a hs dream-come-true.

Yesterday (yes, Sunday), ds was writing a narration about the Wright brothers & spontaneously read every book in the house we have on those guys. (A lot, for some reason.) Then he spontaneously copied a da Vinci quote on flight from one of the books because "it sounds so educated." :001_huh:

Dd is writing a book on immigration. Why? She decided that was what she needed to do. :001_huh: So she worked for a while that first day, stopped, & said, "Well. I'm done w/ the introduction." The introduction? "Of course. Every book has an introduction." Not the ones I read when I was a kid. And dh points out that that means she's *reading* the introductions. :001_huh:

I'm not sure what I'm here for, but I'm here. I did the undesirable cutting & pasting & worked out a treaty on gluing Laura Ingalls Wilder's face to the timeline. :lol:

We built a 3-D model of Falling Water (the Frank Lloyd Wright building, which dh objects should be Frank Lloyd Weber, but that's why he's not hs'ing).

Then we did an experiment w/ static electricity while studying Edison. I wanted the kids to make a poster to go w/ it, so to that end, they read about static electricity in a couple of different encyclopedias.

Turns out, copy machines work off of static electricity (ETC), so ds started building a model (non-working, lol) of a copy machine. We've got a xerox box (ironcially) w/ an empty oatmeal carton for the drum, etc sitting on the dining table along w/ a poster of two electrocuted cats. (I'll have to talk to dd about that in the AM.)

This year is turning into a hs dream-come-true.

Yesterday (yes, Sunday), ds was writing a narration about the Wright brothers & spontaneously read every book in the house we have on those guys. (A lot, for some reason.) Then he spontaneously copied a da Vinci quote on flight from one of the books because "it sounds so educated." :001_huh:

Dd is writing a book on immigration. Why? She decided that was what she needed to do. :001_huh: So she worked for a while that first day, stopped, & said, "Well. I'm done w/ the introduction." The introduction? "Of course. Every book has an introduction." Not the ones I read when I was a kid. And dh points out that that means she's *reading* the introductions. :001_huh:

I'm not sure what I'm here for, but I'm here. I did the undesirable cutting & pasting & worked out a treaty on gluing Laura Ingalls Wilder's face to the timeline. :lol:

Hey, now. You're important! That makes you . . . oh, let's see . . . the United Nations of homeschooling or something, doesn't it? :tongue_smilie:

I hope I hope I hope I HOPE that when my kiddos are bigger they're into learning independently like that! That's awesome!

Hey, now. You're important! That makes you . . . oh, let's see . . . the United Nations of homeschooling or something, doesn't it? :tongue_smilie:

I hope I hope I hope I HOPE that when my kiddos are bigger they're into learning independently like that! That's awesome!

Don't misunderstand: if I leave the table for over 1min, they're hanging from ea other like monkeys or laying in the floor playing w/ the Word Whammer (ABC toy).

They need my magic mama vibes...for something. To collect & reallocate brain waves. I also read stuff to them. And blow smoke out my ears. :D

Dd tells me occasionally, "Um...not to be rude, but...I'm trying to concentrate." I want so badly to say, "REALLY???" After all these years of trying to get you to STOP TALKING, you REALLY want me to be quiet so you can READ? (Because that leaves me totally bored.) :lol: