Menu

Iew Or Classical Writing?!?

mommy247

We will be new to exclusively homeschooling next year. I will be using TOG with one LG, UG, and Dial. The area of writing is where I am most concerned. My older two (4th and 6th grade) are not strong in writing. We are a bit familiar with key word outlines but with limited IEW experience. Which program, considering the ages, would you recommend for us to use. Of course TOG has Writing Aids and I do think we will be able to use those assignments as extensions of another writing program when we chose to do so. ANY insight would be helpful. I have read and read and read and read and still can't seem to decide which of these programs would fill our need for strengthen our writing.

Blessings!

Renee

I chose CW because it includes writing instruction as well as analysis. It goes beyond teaching students how to use different techniques to make their writing more interesting and really gets students to think about why a certain technique or word choice makes for strong writing. They go even further than that and get students to play around with that sentence and substitute different words, or change the grammar, and then think and discuss what impact their change had on the meaning the author was trying to convey. I really appreciate that because I find that with other programs, the focus can be on making sure a certain number of adjectives or sentence openers are used and so the child is relying on a check-list to make sure their writing is "good". Whereas, with CW, the child is getting really good at practicing those techniques while also listening to how each change impacts the writing as a whole. I find it really fun to play around with words and I think it's giving my dd a lot of flexibility in her writing - as well as the ability to evaluate how a choice of words or word order can emphasize or de-emphasize a point.

Sarah

Sarah,

I really enjoyed reading your previous post. What level and ages are your children using CW? Should I begin with Aesop B? I have a 9 year old and an 11 year old. Both about the same in their writing abilities and confidence. Beginners! but willing.

Blessings!

Renee

Hi,

I'm using Homer B with my grade 6 student. We've used CW for the last few years and I see more value in the program the longer I use it.

I think Aesop B would be a good starting place for both of your kids. I really wish I had two that were at the same level - I enjoy the CW discussions that dd and I have, but it would be even more fun with more than one student. I've been teaching CW Poetry at co-op and really enjoy the discussions that the kids get into.

My next student will be ready to slowly begin Aesop A in the fall.

My advice to anyone starting CW is to become best friends with the Core. The better you know and understand the Core, the more you're going to get out of CW.

Sarah